It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
(male)

mc101 HB User
Hey guys need a little "help" here

Hello guys!

Where to start? well i'm a 20 year old college student who is looking to, for the first time in my life become fit and feel "good" about my self. I am currently 250 Pounds, 5'11 and like i stated previously 20 years old. I would like to get down to 180-200 by March of next year! Now i know this may not be possible but i want to try my best. I am new to this whole "healthy" lifestyle, in fact i'm so new that for the previous two weeks i was under the impression that i have to burn more calories then i obtain, well silly me didn't know that you burn calories just by standing,breathing, smiling, laughing etc. So me not knowing i was eating 500-700 calories and burning about 800 at the gym. I recently realized that this is doing more harm then good. So I immediately stopped it yesterday and had a nice "eating" day today. Monday i am going ( sorry for the long read) to start my diet so far i have my self eating 1800-2000 calories a day. I was suggested to eat 3 main meals a day consisting of 400-500 calories per meal. Then 2 side meals ( which i think that i will substitute with either healthy snack bars or protein shake recipe that i have) I am bad with knowing what i can eat and what is not good to eat. This is where i need help guys! i was wondering if anyone had the chance to help me create a "meal plan" with me. I have a bad sense of what is "good" for me and what is "bad". I'm the kind of person who will eat what ever looks most appealing to me (Which is usually not healthy food) if i don't have a strict diet.

Ok so here is summary about what i said.

Background:
Male
20 Years Old
Current Height: 5'11
Current Weight : 250 lbs
Target Weight : 180-200 lbs
Target Date: March, 2012

What i have as a basis for a diet

Caloric Intake Per day
1800-2000
2 Sub Meals (150 for bars, 350 for shake)
3 Main Meals (that leaves about 1300 for the main meals which would be 400-450 per meal)

Sub Meals Contain:
Healthy snack bar (150 cal)
Protein shake (350 cal)

****************Protein shake************************
Protein shake
* Protein Isolate (vanilla flavor)
* 4 liter container of skim milk
* Banannas ( Peel them, throw them in a ziplock bag, and put in freezer
* Container of Vanilla extract.

Directions
*Scoop 35-40 grams of protein
Cup of skim milk
Frozen Banana
Couple Ice Cubes
Teaspoon of vanilla extract

*300-350 calories
40 grams of protein
50-ish grams of carbs

****************Cardio Work************************
I go to a gym about 3-4 times a week

i spend 2 hours there.

45 Minutes on the elliptical at an average speed 6.5 MPH

5 minutes getting water walking around

30 Minutes on Treadmill at an average speed 4.2 Mph

5 minutes getting water walking around

Either 30 minutes on elliptical at an average speed 5.5 MPH

or 30 minutes on a bike at an average 95 RPM

Is this sufficient for weight loss, do i need to increase it?

****************Muscle Work************************
I don't do any muscle work as i don't know where to start if someone could also help me here that would be great!

IF you made it all the way down here with out leaving the thread without some input i appreciate it and it really does mean a lot to me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
(male)

kjman87 HB User
Re: Hey guys need a little "help" here

Funny story, I was in almost your exact position.

I too was in Philly for college at age 19/20 5'11.5' (so close) and weighed in at 255-260 lbs when I was 20 a few years ago. I started going to the gym and things on a very very INconsistent basis and it never did anything. Once I finished my freshman year of college, after gaining the freshman 15 (or 30 YIKES) I started running/exercising. It started on the elliptical since that was easiest for me at the time since I couldn't do the treadmill for more than 5 minutes without being extremely out of breath at any jogging pace. In the end, I lost 60 lbs in a year.

My "program" was ellipticaling for 35 mins 4-5 times a week. As far as eating goes just develop a schedule. If you have a job, pack your lunch, plan ahead, know whats for dinner, make smart choices when you are on the go.

As far as your workout plan is concerned I think that is overkill and you will end up burning out quickly. This is just my opinion and by no means am I a personal trainer (I am still battling with a kind of yo-yo weight loss...went back up 20 lbs and just recently lost it again, back down to 200 looking for 180) but yeah, start slower. Do 35-45 mins of cardio, push yourself but don't kill yourself. Again, this worked for me. As far as the time frame goes, it will be incredibly tight to lose 50-70 lbs by march, I generally go by the rule of about 10lbs/mo and that is pushing the "healthy" limit. so we 5 months from now...

Just keep with it, make smart choices and fill us in on your progress whenever you want!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Hey guys need a little "help" here

As far as your meals go you would be smarter to make your schedule 5 small meals a day, keeping it balanced. This keeps your blood sugar on an even keel. Cut back on carbs, eat green veggies and salads and lean protein or fish that is poached or steamed-not breaded and fried. Stay away from alcohol and beer. Those are just empty calories. And make sure that you are drink around 64 oz. a day of water.

Good luck!

Closed Thread