It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

mysweetshadow HB User
Am I going about weight loss the right way?

So I'm trying to lose weight. When I made this decision, I was about 170lbs. and 5'3. I researched a bit online and got that, at my height and weight, i was roughly consuming almost 2000 calories a day. It also said for weight loss, I should be consuming somewhere between 1000-1500 a day.
I'm a student, and at the moment I don't have time or the money to spare to go to a gym, or do anything beyond running around the block..
So, I changed my eating habits to try and lose initial weight before winter or summer vacations when I'll have more time to work out properly.
I consume roughly around 1000 to 1100 a day now... I'll eat a fibre granola and almonds for breakfast, tuna, soup and veggies for lunch and for supper I'll have this vegetable rice with chicken strips and lots of brocolli/cauliflower.
I feel like compared to my other diets in the past, I'm doing better at incorporating healthier choices this time around.

But, in maybe a week and a half, I've lost around 5 pounds. I feel like maybe thats too much too fast? Especially since I've read 1-2 pounds lost per week is healthy. Is it just because I've gone from such a high calorie intake to a much lower one, or the choices I'm making? I used to eat more processed/fast foods before, or snacked too much. I don't feel hungry between my new meals or snacks, but can it be that I'm "starving" myself, even if it doesnt feel that way?

I just want to make sure its healthy/normal, because i dont want to gain it all back or become unhealthy in a different way. When I have the time to start incorporating exercise more regularly in my routine, I'll up my calories to compensate and keep me energized but... for the time being, is this safe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
(female)

Kindlebug HB User
Smile Re: Am I going about weight loss the right way?

I don't think you're gong about your weight loss in the WRONG way, but maybe if you feel unhappy with the speed that you're losing weight try and eat a bit more. If you lead an active lifestyle I think you're probably not eating enough. Increase your calories by a few hundred per day, and see if your weight loss slows down. Ideally you should have contacted your doctor before undertaking a diet, as they don't advise dropping more than 500 calories from you daily allowance without having a physical.

My advice is to keep being active, but try and eat a few more calories from healthy sources that you can gain energy from, or you're more likely to rebound later on. If you are also experiencing being extra tired or fatigued, then you're not giving yourself enough energy to get through the day, and this could be an indicator that you could do with a few more calories!

Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Closed Thread