It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

Zombiefacee HB User
Brand new; Am I going about this the wrong way?

So this is going to be a long question. Background info first; I'm 19 years old, 5'6", I have a large frame and I weigh 175.5 pounds. I did some research and found that without doing any exercise, I burn about 1600 calories with just normal bodily processes. I have been eating less than that number everyday to try and lose weight and I have yet to see results. The past 4 days, I have been going even more drastic. I've restricted my calorie intake to about 600 calories a day and have been doing P90X every morning. I am not able to make it through the entire exercise everyday, but I put my best effort forward. I do not use the calories burned from exercise into my calculations.

So, mathematically, I have a deficit of at least 1000 calories a day for the past 4 days. A pound of fat only had 3500 calories in it, but the scale has not moved. I weighed myself Wednesday morning and this morning. Exact same weights. What am I doing wrong? Should I be counting something other than calories? What are the best exercises to lose body fat (would be nice if those exercises helped tone, too.)? I can't seem to find any straight answers.

Also, does anyone know the weight I should be striving for? I was thinking 150 pounds because I have a larger frame and at 145, I might be too skinny. 25 pounds should be easy to lose by New Years, right? 4 pounds a week?

All help is beyond appreciated. I am so tired of battling the weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Brand new; Am I going about this the wrong way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiefacee View Post
Should I be counting something other than calories?
You might need more fiber in your diet. But not Fiber-1 cereal or a fiber supplement. You need to eat a healthy diet of fresh fruit and non-starchy vegetables. Salads with dark leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and garbanzo beans would be good. Use olive oil and lemon juice for your dressing. Another good idea would be to make vegetable soups from scratch. (No canned soups.) Try eating some raw vegetables too.

Quote:
4 pounds a week?
That's way too much. Losing weight too fast isn't healthy and your body will resist it anyway. One or two pounds per week would be about right. Also, those who lose it fast usually gain it back fast.

You need a sensable diet that you will continue for the rest of your life. Anything less than that and you will just be fooling youself and wasting your time. That means fresh fruit and non-starchy vegetables, whole grains (one serving per meal), lean meat (no more than one serving per meal), legumes in salads to replace meat (whenever possible), nuts, seeds, olive oil and lemon juice.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-22-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
(female)

Zombiefacee HB User

Thank you for your reply! I did some research around the time that I posted that question and I centered my diet around it. I've been taking in about 1100 calories a day and exercising so that my calories are in the negative about 500 calories per day for roughly a pound lost per week. Unfortunately, while weighing myself every morning, I have actually started to creep up in weight. I was 175, the next morning I was nearly 180! This morning I was at 177, so I'm a little confused. I may just have a bad scale or something! Lol. I'm going to try and focus my diet more on veggies and fruits instead of eating whatever I want as long as it fits into my calorie consumption. Any knowledge on why me weight would be fluctuating? Is it because I'm trying to lose weight and my body is adjusting?

Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiefacee View Post
I may just have a bad scale or something! Lol.
If it's an older spring type scale it may not be accurate. If it's a digital scale you have to be sure to follow the directions. I have a digital and to get it ready, you have to knock on the center of it. That turns it on and sets it up. It's strange but that's the way it works.

Quote:
I'm going to try and focus my diet more on veggies and fruits instead of eating whatever I want as long as it fits into my calorie consumption.
That's the way to go. I forgot to mention that you need at least 25 grams of fiber per day. 35 grams is ideal but very difficult to do. Fiber is very important for weight loss. (I don't recommend 100 bran cereals because they are very high in phytates and therefore bond with and pull minerals from the body.)

Quote:
Any knowledge on why me weight would be fluctuating? Is it because I'm trying to lose weight and my body is adjusting?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It could be due to any number of things. 1) the scale 2) wearing different clothes or shoes that make you heaver or lighter 3) weighing in at different times of the day. It might be better to just forget about weighing yourself for a week or two. You know the old saying: "A watched pot never boils."

Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Caloric deficit is important too, your body isn't as simple as calories in versus calories out, no matter what you may be told. When your caloric deficit is too high, your body will think that you're starving and will do all it can to hold onto its energy reserves, including drastically lowering your metabolism. The most you want to deprive yourself of is 20% of a normal day's calories, anything more than that is counter-productive.

It's good that you're exercising with P90x. It's an important to consider that most diet related weight loss is muscle rather than fat, as muscle is where your body looks first to make up any shortage. Thus, you need to be working out (more than simple cardio) to maintain muscle mass. This is partly the culprit in 'yo-yo' dieting: weight lost is largely muscle which suppresses the metabolism, causing more fat gain when caloric intake is restored.

Another good practice is to eat smaller meals more often, trying to avoid blood sugar spikes brought on by large or carb heavy meals; these lead to weight gain. The most your body will process at any one time is roughly 300 calories, after which time it will store the rest for later, in the fat cells.

Closed Thread