It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
(female)

pollylolly HB User
Losing Weight Without Trying

Over the last 4 weeks or so, I've started losing weight without trying (in fact, I am actually trying to build up my body strength and weight as I have recently recovered from an eating disorder).

I've been eating about 1800 calories per day (often more) and only do light exercise (a few light walks & household chores, but I work at a sedentary job).

My BMI has fallen from 17.5 (which is already low) to 16.5 and I am very concerned about my weight falling this low (I've never been this skinny before). I'm a 21 year old female and am just under 90lbs, so this is well outside healthy weight range for me.

I want to seek help from a doctor to make sure everything is ok, and this weight loss isn't the sign of anything serious, but I'm very worried that my doctor will think I've relapsed into my eating disorder when this is not the case. I honestly am eating at least 1800 calories or more most days and am actually trying to get my weight into a healthy weight range.

How do I talk to my doctor about this without him thinking I'm suffering anorexia again?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Losing Weight Without Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollylolly View Post
How do I talk to my doctor about this without him thinking I'm suffering anorexia again?
That may not be easy, to say the least. Doctors are only human and once they learn that anorexics often do not tell the truth about what they eat, they may just assume that this is more of the same.

This might help: Before you go to your doctor, why don't you try eating a lot more calories. Perhaps you could try 1,000 extra calories. Make your total come to around 3,000 calories per day. Otherwise, your doctor may ask you to try this and you've wasted a visit. If you do it on your own, and it doesn't work, then it's a safe bet that he should be looking for some type of physical malfunction. And if he doesn't have any ideas about what to look for, then it's time to try another doctor.

There are doctors who specialize in digestive disorders. There have been cases where food doesn't get absorbed properly. This type of doctor is called a Gastroenerologist. You might mention it to your doctor and see what he says.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-27-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

sweet_chic HB User

I'd definitely go see a doctor eventually as soon as possible. Losing weight without really trying (not eating less, not exercising much, etc) can be a sign of an underlying disease, so just to be on the safe side, it's best to go see a Dr.

How much weight have you lost so far? As in, lbs? Are you under stress?? Depressed?? These things can also make someone lose weight without really trying.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User

because you have suffered from anorexia in the past it is likely that you have lied to your doctors in the past so they might be sceptical
if you are eating 1800 calories a day and losing weight then its likely that this is not enough
the average female needs 2000 a day some with a higher metabolic rate will need more
you say you have a sedentary job ,but some people use a lot of nervous energy which burns a lot of calories
you will need to increase your daily intake before you can judge if you have a problem or not

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
(male)

simamura HB User

Try to eat more high calorie food.
If the problems stays, then you definitely have some problems with health.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simamura View Post
Try to eat more high calorie food.
If the problems stays, then you definitely have some problems with health.
I lose weight on that many calories ,
kudo's to you for asking for help

Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
(male)

jamesian HB User

I think your metabolism is still fast.

Closed Thread