It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

nicumom2 HB User
Losing weight and changing clothing sizes

I've heard the norm is 20 pounds = one size. Has anyone already on their journey had any experience with this? I know everyone is built differently - all shapes and sizes and heights, etc. etc. etc. But on average - I was wondering. I have never worn over a size 18...not to say that a 20 wouldn't fit..but I've never allowed myself to buy a size 20. My size 18 jeans from Old Navy fit - a bit loose in the butt, and I can pull them off w/o unsnapping them. Yet for some reason I feel like they are tight, don't ask why I feel that way. I am thinking if I lose 20 pounds then maybe I can graduate to a size 16. I have lost 11 pounds since January 2nd. And my goal is 2 pounds per week. I know it won't happen over night. But dreaming seems to help! Sorry for long post!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
(female)

LilacGardenia HB UserLilacGardenia HB User
Re: Losing weight and changing clothing sizes

I'd say go to the store and try on several sizes until you find your new size. It does vary based on where you lost the weight from and the clothing brand (some run smaller with less of a difference in between sizes, others run big or have a big difference between each size). Old Navy does have a size guide on their website you can use if you know your measurements.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money since you'll probably outgrow the new size soon as you progress towards your goal (and some of those clothes are really expensive), thrift stores often have a lot of nice brand name stuff for a really good deal and you can donate whatever you grew out of to get it out of your closet.

Best of luck and congratulations on your weight loss!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
(female)

nicumom2 HB User

Thanks. A friend of mine lost 100 pounds in 14 months and she shopped a thrift store too. She is married to a doctor and now has an amazing figure, but she still shops at the same thrift store. She told me just yesterday that she got a pair of jeans for $1. - had never heard of the brand, went home and looked them up and they were $200 jeans. I've gone to that same store but so far nothing in my size that looks remotely trendy! Thanks for the congrats! I feel like this time I really will follow thru with my plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacGardenia View Post
I'd say go to the store and try on several sizes until you find your new size. It does vary based on where you lost the weight from and the clothing brand (some run smaller with less of a difference in between sizes, others run big or have a big difference between each size). Old Navy does have a size guide on their website you can use if you know your measurements.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money since you'll probably outgrow the new size soon as you progress towards your goal (and some of those clothes are really expensive), thrift stores often have a lot of nice brand name stuff for a really good deal and you can donate whatever you grew out of to get it out of your closet.

Best of luck and congratulations on your weight loss!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User

Don't worry about the numbers, just focus on how you feel while wearing the clothes. You'll know what fits best on your body when you put it on. The numbers are just guidelines, and they vary quite a bit between different stores and brands. For instance, a "36" waist at Old Navy is actually 42 or something like that, but at H&M the 36 is actually 36 inches.

For me personally, I gained only about 5lb but my jeans were so tight I couldn't wear them. I went shopping for new ones at the same store and brand, and even going up 3 sizes didn't fit me. I'm pretty sure if I go now to try on jeans again, I'd have to go up even more, to probably a 7 ( I'm 5'3" and weigh 107lb, and I was only a 0 / 1 before ).

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
(female)

nicumom2 HB User

Well, I'm not "worried" about the numbers. I was a size 0 before I had my kids - so wearing maternity clothes and gaining weight is a whole new ballgame, and you aren't really going from a 0 to a 4 or an 8 or a 12 gradually - it's just "bam!" - maternity sizes..and here comes baby - and hello weight gain. I have met people who remember what it was like when they lost weight - saying 15 pounds or 20 pounds was equal to one size. I know I will notice how my clothes fit differently, and gradually as the sizes go down...but thought it would be fun and inspiring to hear from someone who just started the journy and might be 30-40 pounds into the weight loss journey to share their experience, that's all. Yes, it does depend upon the store and the brand and the persons shape. Just looking for inspiration. I'm happy with what I've done so far in 2.5 weeks...and I have my goals set and a bikini ready to go by August if I stay the course

Closed Thread