It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
(male)

vooda HB User
Weight loss is Impossible it seems.

Quick history, Was 150-180 lbs and in excellent condition until married at 30, gained 100 lbs in 9 years had massive heart attack at 38. Lost 87 pounds and kept it off basically for about 10 years. I was fast walking 4 miles per day, power lifting another 30-40 minutes and swimming 45 minutes all 5-6 times per week. Since MI eat healthy as when I was younger, got rid of the wife, eat veggies, fruit, chicken, no red meat and plenty of salmon. Cholesterol is in the high 90's.
OK problem, I for some reason started to gain weight and was getting tired beyond believe. At times having to pull over and would fall asleep in my car for 4-6 hours. Was doing much less at the gym. By my count I was eating about 1000 calories per day. Got so bad I was sleeping 18-20 hours per day and gaining a pound every few days. I topped out at 287 lbs. and only 5'6".
So to the cardiologist he does all these test and my EF is still at 30% and 50%, BP up to 150/97. He sends me to blood Dr. and am diagnosed with Polycythomia Vera, to thick of blood and way to much. I now go for a blooding sometimes monthly sometimes 2-3 times per month.
OK so I say and my cardio. insists I lose weigh no kidding I feel like crud. I am now on a water bill maybe temp at the dr.s orders.
I for months have been eating well again, exercising although not like I was not yet anyway just walking and light weights. Write down everything I eat and most stay at 650-950 calories, very little fat and no cholesterol. I have noticed water weight gone and only lost a total of EIGHT pounds in a month. What am I doing wrong or is this OK? I would think of much more weight lose by this point. I am 50 and stay pretty active.
Thanks for any responses in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Weigh lose is Impossible it seems.

A couple of things. It's harder to lose weight as an "older" person. Second, your calorie intake is way too low. You're making oyur body burn muscle instead of fat - it's holding on to the fat for fuel because you aren't giving it enough food. And you need some fat in your diet - not a lot. If you are still in the 270-280 pound range, you should be eating about 1500 calories a day to lose weight.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
(male)

vooda HB User

Thank you.
The low calorie intake was just mentioned to me by the gym I go to. And yes I topped out at 287 or so am now as of this morning 279. Thanks I'll up the calories and see what happens this month.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

annang HB User

Exhaustion + weight gain makes me think sleep disturbance. You could have sleep apnea or some other sleep problem that is causing all of your other issues. Can you go back to your doctor and ask for an overnight sleep study?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
(male)

vooda HB User

I was having a horrible time sleeping more then 3-4 hours at a time during the weight gain. The weight gain we surmised was due mainly to zero activity and eating more when I was always tired and sleeping all the time. That my oncologist said was due to the PolycythomiaVera. It will make you very fatigued.
I now can tell when I need a bleeding. My B/P rises and I get very tired. After a bleeding usually first thing in the morning I feel kind of crummy but the next 2 weeks look out I have plenty of energy. But after the two weeks I slowly get fatigued again. My Onc. says it's a domino effect, loose the weight, stay active and I should need less bleeding's.

I have combined the diet I lost the weight the first time 11 years ago (DR. Ornish) with a new book I'm reading by Timothy Ferriss and the weight seems to be coming off now. I was eating to little calories for starters which made my body think starving. It also says one day per week eat all you want. Been a bout three weeks and I have lost a total of 14 lbs and the strange thing is when loose it. I will usually on a Sunday eat more then usual and on Monday have a few pounds gained from over eating, then 2-3 days later that weight is gone with a few more and it seems to stay off. Go figure.

Thanks for the advise I will mentioning that the next time I go to the Dr.'s

Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
(male)

vooda HB User
Re: Weight loss is Impossible it seems.

Since I don't like when threads just die out I'd like to give an update. Well it started again where I went two weeks and lost not an once. So I started to feel crummy again. So I just for one day ate anything around me then right back to the diet. I still find it nearly impossible to eat 1500 calories, I find myself forcing myself to eat in the early evening to up the calories. Well a few days after the one day binge I got on the scale and 4 pounds were just gone. I thought it was a fluke but I've lost more since then so I guess one day a week I will eat a few thing I want even if I go over my calories. Total loss of 25 pounds so far. I am averaging about 1050 calories for 6 days then on the seventh I end up with about 2000. I am tracking everything I eat or drink. It's free so.
Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 03-28-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Closed Thread