It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

t00thman HB User
Strength training for weight loss? Trying to lose 100 pounds!

How is strength training to muscle failure for calorie-burning? I've lost thirty pounds in the last couple months (got about 70 more to go haha I'm a 255-pound computer gamer) with diet and exercise, but most of my exercise came from a job I no longer have. I'm looking to make some routines. And I'm pretty broke since delivering pizzas doesn't pay as much as my old job

How effective for weight loss is a routine like this:

Push-ups until muscle failure (usually takes me ~20)
Sit-ups until muscle failure (about 45)
Leg lunges until muscle failure (a few times up and down the hallway)

I can't seem to find any decent hours on how many calories I've been burning when I do this. And motivation to work out has been a little low since I have no idea if I should do this, or if it's a waste of time and I should just go ride my bike for half an hour.

I ask all this because after losing my previous job, my weight's been sitting still at 255. I need to formulate a plan, and to keep motivated I need to know what's effective and what isn't.

The only exercise I have a problem with is running/jogging. This is purely out of concern for my knees (which is half the reason I want to lose this weight anyway lol). I heavily prefer bike riding over running.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
(female)

Connie CR HB User
Re: Strength training for weight loss? Trying to lose 100 pounds!

Hey, the more muscle you have the more you can burn that fat. When it comes to getting rid of fat, the three pronged attack works the best:

strength training
aerobic workouts (I prefer my treadmill)
calorie restriction

Of course those calories can't be just any calories. If I don't stay away from simple carbs, I will not be able to keep my hunger under control, and therefore can't keep my calories between 1200-1400.

The Following User Says Thank You to Connie CR For This Useful Post:
t00thman (09-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

I'm no grand expert but am maintaining the weight I want to be. The toughest part is keeping it off. I believe you need both: calorie restriction and whatever you enjoy in exercise for however much time you can give it. Plenty of water too.

What you suggest sounds good. We recently got an elliptical, much less costly than a treadmill since it is manual, not power driven. Our own power moves it. Also better on knees and takes up less space. Nice to watching TV or to favorite music.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
t00thman (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
(male)

t00thman HB User

Very helpful to know, Connie. I think I have diet down pretty well, though I have to admit I'm not counting calories. I just make sure to eat less and to only eat low fat, low calorie foods and only whole grain carbs. I guess I can just spend some time cycling or walking every day, then strength train til failure every other day or so.

BTW today I added "curls" to my strength routine. Quotation marks because I just filled a backpack with books and did reps with that lol.

@tinam7: I never thought about trying an elliptical! That sounds awesome, and I think I just may pick one up as soon as I can afford one. I spend an hour or two a day watching something, and I've yet to find an exercise that works well while staring at a TV screen.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

There are expensive ellipticals we see in the gym. The home type is much smaller and about a tenth of the cost. Also want to add that I go to a gym in a city rec. center that is not costly either and quite wonderful. We get to use a variety of machines that make it more interesting. But what you burn in an hour, you can promptly replace with some tasty item full of sugar, salt, maybe fat, maybe white flour, the 4 basic appetite seducers.

Calorie counting is tedious, no doubt about it. Writing down what we eat can be more interesting and just as revealing, or more so. "What? I ate that entire package of Oreos?" We can see our glaring weaknesses and where we need to pay attention. I have a terrible weakness with chocolate. It's tough, for sure. Also, it's a life change.....for all time. But can be done with proper mind-set.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
(female)

Connie CR HB User

I'll have to try an elliptical sometime in the future. My knees aren't what they used to be and that means I can't go very fast on my treadmill. As for calorie counting, I have to do it as I tend to underestimate the amount of calories I eat.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
(female)

ToxinFree HB User

Just be a little careful about what elliptical you buy because some of the cheaper ones can cause knee problems just because they're not designed very well.

Closed Thread