I lost 60 pounds this year- and here is how..
I think there is no one size fits all way to lose weight- what works for one person might not work for another- but I thought I'd share what I did to lose 60 pounds this year, and every time I get on the scale my weight keeps dropping. My primary goal is now exercise and eating right, weight loss is the positive consequence
I'm a 43 year old guy, 6'3 my healthy weight should be in the 180 range- most of my adult life I was about 20 pounds overweight- for a time in college in the 1990s, I was a jogger and fell below my ideal weight. When I hit 30, my weight started to go up, to the point were I peaked at 300 pounds 2 years back. My blood pressure was dangerously high, I looked and felt awful, and dating, much less a sexlife seemed a thing of the past. I couldn't even concentrate when reading a book, and I plunged into a depression that never faded.
Prompted by my high blood pressure and lack of any whoopie in my life, i decided I had to make a change- here are the changes I made
(1) My tv died. Get rid of your tv!!! I used to plop myself down and watch tv all night- which is basically sitting in a chair staring at a wall. Now I spend the time I used to spend watching tv speed walking outside.
(2) Cut down the portions. I wouldn't just eat a plate of food- I ate a platter of food. When I wasn't eating, I was pooping. I found myself eating and pooping all day long. Pretty gross.
A surprising thing happens when you cut down portions- your perpetual hunger goes away, and your sense of taste when eating actually becomes heightened.
(3) DROP soda from your diet . Soda offers nothing of nutritional value, will dehydrate you and will wreck your teeth. Diet Coke is the worst. I drank Diet Coke every day for years, and the end result was a mouthful of root canals
(4) EXERCISE!! My sibling does the Ironman Triathalon- too hardcore for me- I walk- everywhere- I started walking an hour a day, then 2 hours, then 3. take all the time you used to spend watching tv walking outside. For me, getting into exercise was very intimidating- but start off slow, you will be surprised how quickly you will get ansy if you don't exercise.
Just some ideas. I was 300 pounds, now I weight 240. I feel amazing, and can think clearer than I have in years
(5) Eat healthy. I used to eat a extra large bag of Doritos in one sitting. No more- now i eat lots of veggies, fruit, berries sometimes fish. Healthy food can indeed be tasty
(6) Do not be a scale watcher- I weight myself once every 4 weeks. My concern is to change bad habits, and weight loss will be the positive result. Setting a goal as just losing x amount of pounds in a period of time implies a short term goal. Its not easy, but you can lose the weight- heck, if i can lose weight, anyone can!
If you get stuck trying to figure out how to lose weight (which was my problem), maybe it would help of you imagine someone exactly like you came to you and asked advice on how they could lose weight and get fit. What advice would you give them?
This works for me, it might not for you, but I just thought I'd share
Just remember- get rid of your tv set, no more soda, and walk as much as you can
Last edited by Titanic Explore; 09-09-2012 at 01:07 PM.