It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

bunnai87 HB User
Weight loss help, good idea?

I am trying to lose weight. Yes I'm setting baby goals. Right now I have one for 20 lbs by Thanksgiving. I'm wondering if this is realistic? I'm fine if I say 20 and get 15 just as long as I am striving for that bigger chunk. I currently weigh near 190, 5'6. Also I am concerned that if I try to lose the weight too fast I will end up with loose skin. Any and all help is absolutely welcome! Also any tips on exercises that will help me more right now would be great thanks!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
(female)

Tana HB User
Re: Weight loss help, good idea?

So, 20 by Thanksgiving is 3.3 per week, which is definitely realistic. I'm in about the same boat you're in, I started at 184, 5'7". I'm doing much better taking it 1 week at a time. In the past I've said 20 pounds by this date, or 60 by this date and it didn't work, because it seems like so much. Right now I'm eating healthy, and setting a 3 pound per week goal. Its only been 3 and a half weeks, but so far I've met or exceeded my goal every week.
I should say, this is with very little exercise (yet). I know everyone says it should be a balance of diet and exercise, but I've tried that too many times to count, and it didn't work. This time I'm starting with the food, and I'll very gradually add in exercise.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Tana; 10-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
(female)

bunnai87 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I've been working on this all summer and pretty much did the food part and lost a bit of weight by that alone. I have a partner now that wants to exercise with me, we have agreed that at least 20 minutes of walking is required to count as exercising for the day and if you do more than that, then great. Plus to motivate the 2 of us, we have a jar that is for loose change and for money from exercising. If I exercise then he puts in a dollar, and if he does, then I do, the prize at the end of the tunnel is to have money for a Vegas trip, the more exercise the sooner it happens.
Thanks for breaking it down by average weight loss a week, it does feel more realistic that way.
Also I want to lose the weight so I can finally look and feel good when I go to Disney with all of my family this summer... So motivation that will boost what I already have and feel...

Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
(female)

bunnai87 HB User

Also I am trying to find a way that will slim down my entire leg. They've always seemed on the bulky side, and not fatty, just big, and I want to make them sleeker if that's possible.

Last edited by bunnai87; 10-13-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
(female)

Tana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnai87 View Post
Also I am trying to find a way that will slim down my entire leg. They've always seemed on the bulky side, and not fatty, just big, and I want to make them sleeker if that's possible.
Supposedly strength training with more reps, less tension/weight is better for longer leaner muscle vs less reps more tention/weight. I've heard pilates is also good for that.

I plan to start the 10 Minute Solutions DVDs, (slowly) they have 1 that is for target toning. That might help.

If anything helps, let me know, I did marching band in HS, so I've got thick upper legs.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
(male)

TommyGEE HB User

Weight loss involves three important things: healthy diet, proper exercise and right attitude. Keep these things in mind and you are more likely going to succeed.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
(male)

TreKPower HB User
Smile Re: Weight loss help, good idea?

I am 58 yrs old male, 5:10, 180 lbs (about 83kgs), been very active all my life, run and ride seriously every week (10 miles runs every other day and w/o in the gym in between; also, ride outdoors in the summer about 100 miles/week-and indoors in the winter (I live in Canada-and right now it's snowing like crazy!!) ...so, why am I telling all these?
Right now I am in the best shape of my life, feel strong and look ripped (in the gym I do P90X); in 2010 was 215 lbs despite the fact I was doing all these...yes!! if you dont clean-up your diet you'll never be slim-so, in 2010 decided to go back to my track and field diets where I was 145lbs, run 75-90 miles/week and run like a deer, and here is what I did:

Bought myself a small weigh scale and started to count the calories of what I was eating; but before I go on, let me give you some hard diet facts...if you dont run or w/o all you will need is about 50-75 cal/hour, depending how tall you are; so, 50/75x24hrs=1200/1800cal/day-anything over that you will gain weight; now, if you run or w/o you will need to add the calories your work out burns to that 50-75 cal/hr; average running/jogging burns about 120-130 cal/mile-get it? so, when you eat a muffin=500cal you will need to run about 4 miles to burn the crap you've eaten!!!! cycling at a good clip burns about 500-700 cal/hour. If you dont clean-up your diet you will never, ever be slim-what I did was to eliminate all foods containing high calories and fat; rather than giving you a list of foods, here is some rules of thumb to follow, besides sticking to 50-75 cal/hour; NO oils, butters, margarine, no bread, NO processed foods of any type (anything in a can or sealed plastic bags contains a lot of fat, calories, and cancerous chemicals), no cancer foods like fast food items of any kind (especially fries, hot dogs and burgers-buy your own extra lean meets and make your own burgers), no coke, pepsi and all other sugar-loaded crap drinks, no yokes (but lots of egg-whites); buy everything fresh and make your own sauces. Eat lots of fruits and FRESH vegies, legume soups, chicken breasts and fish, 0-fat yogurt, milk, and also take high potency vitamins and drink 10-15 500 ml bottles of pure water/day; forget the breakfast-lunch-super routine, but eat throughout the day and have consumed 75% of your daily cal by 5-6pm.

If you are, say, 30 lbs overweight, and try to diet, your body will initially attack you for food because the extra fat is part of you and needs to "eat, drink, and breath"; once you've cleansed yourself of the fat, you wont feel as hungry and you will feel full of energy because the oxygen that used be consumed by your fat, now goes to your useful parts of your body.

Another fact to remember is that your body runs on carbohydrates and not fat!!! so, when you eat, say, 2500 cal per day, and 1000 cal of that is from fat, your body will welcome the 1500 cal but store the fat cal you know where, around your *** and belly. To burn fat you'll initially need to eat less carbohydrates than your body needs to get the burning process going, and then it will tap into the fat deposits, hence you will lose weight.
Regards!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Trish0102 HB User

Proper diet along with lots of exercise will help you lose weight. And you won't have lose skin with it.

Reply Reply