It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
BMI ~ 23 but want to drop weight desperately

I am a 30 yo female 5'5" and 137lbs which puts me at the clinically normal BMI of around 23. However, I would really like to drop another 10-12lbs and I can't. I run 5-6 times a week about 6-7 miles per day (30-40 miles per week total), walk during my day (up/down the stairs not the elevator, park farther away and walk etc) and still not losing an ounce. I eat healthy foods but larger portions as hunger kicks in oh so badly. I may eat a lot of food for an average person, but for me it's only enough to not be hungry all the time. It seems like the only ways to slim down for me at this point are either smoking or medication. While smoking is out of the picture, I'd try medication (phentermine?) but no doctor will ever prescribe it to me. I am also fearing the side effects and that all the weight lost will return as soon as I stop the medicine.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I really like to be slimmer. I know that will make me a lot happier and more satisfied with life (been there, so I know). Any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated. Please no questioning the need for weightloss. Yes my BMI is clinically "normal", but no harm in trying to achieve my desired weight which is also still in the normal range. Thanks a lot!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: BMI ~ 23 but want to drop weight desperately

Hi, Perhaps you are running too slow. You must raise your heartbeat per minute into the fat burning zone which in your case is in the 130 bpm area. This should be your goal. to keep this heart rate level for at least 30 minutes during your run. This will increase your metabolism to the point where you burn calories up to several hours after you are done. Buy a cheap heart rate monitor you wear like a watch which will give you a constant update of your heart beat. Also stay away from sugar.Happy holidays....LenVegas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
(female)

solo17 HB User
Re: BMI ~ 23 but want to drop weight desperately

Hey, I understand your desire to slim down despite being at a normal bmi---everyones' body is different and bmi is only a very approximate measure of body size. To give an example, someone can have an overweight bmi even if their extra mass can be attributed to muscle. Likewise, someone can have a normal or even underweight bmi but don't appear particularly thin due to their lack of muscle. What I'm trying to say is that body composition (the ratio of fat to muscle) can totally change your appearance and body composition is also something that a bmi can't account for.

okay, so with that said, the reason you can't get a doctor to prescribe you a medication is because they probably see that as an extreme measure---something you don't need given you are in a normal weight range for your height. Also just incase you were wondering, the reason people say "smoking makes you lose weight" is only because nicotine apparently curbs your appetite, not because it actually reduced your weight.

You did indicate that you have a higher calorie intake than you think is normal and that you feel hungry a lot. People who eat often generally tend to feel hungry more often as well because they have trained their bodies to process food quickly in time for their next meal. Considering your higher than normal caloric intake has not led to weight gain it is also very likely you have an efficient metabolism. That being said, you may be stuck on a 'weight plateau' due to these larger portions.

Sizing your meals down gradually while maintaining the amount of physical activity will result in a greater caloric deficit and therefore you should lose the weight you want to. Another suggestion is to also look at the type of foods you are eating---increasing your protin intake results in muscle growth, and muscles burn more calories than fat. Therefore, you could theoretically maintain your caloric intake but burn more calories per work out and still lose weight.

I hope something in here will be useful to you. Good luck!

Reply Reply