It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
(male)

great88 HB User
Unhappy I need help. Please help me!

First of all, I love this board, absolutely love the science, the facts behind it. But I am so confused, basically tired of all the info I have read. I have no science background and feel lost in all this. Also, I have had information overload from all new and old theories of fat loss, some say do slow carb, some say be gluten free, some say eat lots of fat, some don't touch sugar, some talk about no to little exercise, some talk about running at max heart rate 5 days a week. I am honestly breaking down.

I am only 33 years old, I am 75 pounds overweight, have high blood pressure and am pre-diabetic (even came out positive for diabetes in a fasting test once). I am tired all day, no mental capacity, and here I was a bright guy and now I can't even think clearly.

I need your help. A few kind souls, could you kindly help me in providing a clearly laid out structure of diet and exercise that I should follow to lose all this weight and come out of prediabetes and help with my hypertension. or could you kindly answer these questions, point by point, in easier to understand details. I will be extremely grateful to you:

1) So should I stick with slow carb but high protein diet, or how about high fat diet with slow carb or gluten free diet. Please let me know what kind of diet should a human being stick to all their life for better health and to lose weight. Please, kindly break it down into details as how many calories in total per day rough estimates of how many from protein, carbs and fat? and anything else you could think of.

2) Is there certain kind of "nutrient" I should not consume at all or mostly stay away from like fructose, transfat, Gluten? What kind of stuff would be a strict no-no? Please share as much as you can. Please.

3) Does Omega 3 supplements are really good for cardiac health and weight loss too? If yes, then how much should be consumed everyday?

4) What about exercise, should I do High Intentsity weight training everyday? Or cardiac aerobic exercises everyday? Strength training, weight training, resistance training, what exactly and how much?

5) What's up all the insulin sensitivity, insensitivity and resistance. What's the best way to deal with it, make it perfect so that it doesn't harm me. What kind of exercise, diet makes it better so that it doesn't effect my organs and physical health. My blood pressure seemed to be caused by sugars I think.

6) Is there a really blueprint of diet and exercise humans should do or shouldn't do. Please help me.

Please forgive me for all the confusion but please do share everything and anything you know. PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY LIFE. Please and thank you!

- A very confused and broken man.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
(female)

felinekp HB User
Re: I need help. Please help me!

You and I are both in the same boat! I am trying very hard to lose weight. When I follow a reduced sodium diet, I seem to drop weight much faster. My cardiologist has me taking alpha lipoic acid (100 mg a day) and Coq10(100 mg a day). I am also working on the blood sugar issue. Several articles have stated that mushrooms and berries can help stabilize blood sugar. I am older than you and female but I watched my father go through the same battle you are and I understand what you are going through. One more thing, I walk every day of my life using walk videos. We have too many mosquitos around here to walk much outside.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

FitRunner HB User

Honestly, why are you overthinking this whole thing? You are going to drive yourself crazy and still not lose any weight.

Bottom line.... just eat less. Cut your portions in half. Eat what you want, just less of it. I'm not advocating eating the bad stuff, but if you think you must have that cheeseburger, then eat half of it. Always leave food on your plate. Make smaller portions to start with so you aren't tempted to eat all of it. Become the left over champion.... always make sure you have half of your meal left so you can eat it at the next meal. It will save you time, money and calories.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You really are overthinking this. Eat less. And make the less the more fatty foods. Not that you can't ever have a hamburger again but maybe once a month as a treat. Move more. Do a mix of cardio and weight work. I jog 3 -4 days a week - 2 miles...a slow 2 miles, not a flat out run. Then 2 days a week I go to the gym for weight work. I walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes or so first and then do weight work for 30-40 minutes.

I stay away from fried foods as a norm - though I had french fries last night because it was my birthday. Haven't had them in months. About the only sweets I eat are cookies - and fairly plain ones like sugar cookies. I eat a lot of fresh green veggies and fish, chicken and turkey. One pat of butter a day on my AM Toast. Sandwiches (no mayo but mustard is OK). Salads (usually one tablespoon of vinaigrette dressing only). Fairly simple diet and I eat that way all the time except special occasions (holidays, birthdays, etc). I've done this for several decades and I maintain my weight with no problems.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennifer0023 HB User

No way. This won't work. If I eat a greasy pizza and eat half..it still not healthy for you. If I eat mac and cheese it's still loaded with calories (no matter what) I say start slowly going to your local farmer's market and buy fruits/veggies. Go for walks (in the gym or for me in sunny Florida) and sign up at a gym. I started making these really yummy green smoothies..loaded with kale, spinach, carrots, banana and some blueberries....with a vitmain mix added in.
I now am leaning towards such a healthy diet that i no longer have that weight in my stomach..it took me 6 months to do this with such dedication.
Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to jennifer0023 For This Useful Post:
Troly59 (01-29-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
(female)

FitRunner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley9 View Post
No way. This won't work. If I eat a greasy pizza and eat half..it still not healthy for you. If I eat mac and cheese it's still loaded with calories (no matter what) I say start slowly going to your local farmer's market and buy fruits/veggies. Go for walks (in the gym or for me in sunny Florida) and sign up at a gym. I started making these really yummy green smoothies..loaded with kale, spinach, carrots, banana and some blueberries....with a vitmain mix added in.
I now am leaning towards such a healthy diet that i no longer have that weight in my stomach..it took me 6 months to do this with such dedication.
Good luck
It will work. You can eat healthy all day long, but if you eat too much of anything you won't lose weight. My suggestion to eat less, is based on the fact that this person is having a hard time with knowing what to eat. He needs to cut his portions before he jumps into worrying about what he's eating.

Of course we all want to eat healthy, but he already stated that he's confused and overwhelmed with the "science" of it all. He needs to focus on amounts and get some weight off. After that he can worry more about what he's eating.

That's the main problem with most people trying to lose weight and listening to all the noise out there. You can drive yourself insane with trying to eat healthy, or avoiding carbs, or gluten free or vegan, smoothie this or smoothie that, or whatever. It's overwhelming and does nothing to help people who simply need to take weight off. You gotta start somewhere. Portion control is easy and it works!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jennifer0023 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitRunner View Post
It will work. You can eat healthy all day long, but if you eat too much of anything you won't lose weight. My suggestion to eat less, is based on the fact that this person is having a hard time with knowing what to eat. He needs to cut his portions before he jumps into worrying about what he's eating.

Of course we all want to eat healthy, but he already stated that he's confused and overwhelmed with the "science" of it all. He needs to focus on amounts and get some weight off. After that he can worry more about what he's eating.

That's the main problem with most people trying to lose weight and listening to all the noise out there. You can drive yourself insane with trying to eat healthy, or avoiding carbs, or gluten free or vegan, smoothie this or smoothie that, or whatever. It's overwhelming and does nothing to help people who simply need to take weight off. You gotta start somewhere. Portion control is easy and it works!
I use to eat horrible. I frequented Burger King, McDonalds, KFC..but slowly when you start taking care of yourself..working out..you WANT to eat healthy..you want to avoid heart attacks and stroke and many of these foods have chemicals and so much sugar..that it's a must to stop eating horrible earlier than before. I made a change and I love it..I no longer play yo yo with the scale..plus, what causes more harm..eating a ton of banana's in one day or eating a ton of Snicker Bars..once you choose correctly, then you'll see results..goodluck

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
(female)

closertogod HB User

First of all, relax. You are clearly very neurotic (I am too, so I feel you), and you're not going to get anywhere if you let your anxiety get the best of you.

You don't need slow carb, high fat, all protein, gluten free, fad diets.

It's really simple. 3,550 kcal (calories) is equal to one pound of fat. In order to lose a pound a week, you need to lose 3,500 kcal a week. If you split 3,500 kcal evenly between all the days in the week, it becomes 500 kcal a day. So, simply put, if you get rid of 3,500 kcal a day, you will lose a pound a week. Always.

There is a flip side to this coin. Your body is stupid. It doesn't know what you're doing or why you're doing it. Your body only has one thought: stay alive. Because of this, if you don't give your body what it needs to function properly, it will go into panic mode. Your body needs at least 1,200 kcal per day to function. If you don't give it what it needs, it will hold on to every little thing you do provide it with for dear life, storing it as fat. That's why people on starvation diets tend to lose weight at first (all water weight) and then plateau or worse: gain weight. The best thing to do is to aim for 1,200 net calories per day.

Net calories means positive calories (from eating) plus negative calories (from exercise). For example, Lucy ate 1,650 calories today, and burned 225. +1,650 + -225 = 1,325 net kcal. You must factor in every bite you take. If you steal a french fry from your girlfriend's plate, it counts.

ALL OF YOUR CALORIES MUST COME FROM NUTRITIOUS SOURCES. YOU CAN NOT EAT A BIG MAC COMBO AND CONSIDER IT A DAY'S WORTH OF KCAL. A good rule of thumb is that if it has any ingredients that you can't pronounce, put it down

I suggest creating and using a a log of your food and water intake, as well as your exercise and calories burned.

If you are drinking anything except for water, stop it. Like, right now. Put down that coke zero. You must drink water. Drink it when you wake up. Drink it when you eat. Drink it when you're bored. Drink it when you're not sure if you should be drinking it. Drink it while you pee, photograph it, name it 'Ode to Efficiency' and display it in an art gallery. Drink it while you ponder how clever I am. Then drink more water. Shoot for a gallon a day.

Liz

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Trish0102 HB User

You better consult a dietician regarding your meals just to be sure since you have health condition as well. With that, you can have a planned meal that will be perfect for you.

Closed Thread