It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

notdavis HB User
Unhappy Getting started but I've got major ISSUES :) (and no weight loss in 8 months)

Getting started but I've got major ISSUES (and no weight loss in 8 months)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself and share my personal goals and challenges in case you might have some suggestions for how I can get started on my journey towards fitness.

I have always been very fit and thin but in my mid-30s something changed. After getting married I put on about 18 pounds and more pudge than I care to admit.

Fast forward two years and my doctor diagnosed me as prediabetic. My understanding is that I have insulin resistance that makes it easier for my body to put on fat and harder to take it off. Iíve worked to control my blood sugar levels and found that if I eat about 110-120 g of carbs spread out throughout the day I seem to avoid blood sugar highs and lows. I follow a diet of organic and unprocessed ďnaturalĒ foods, but I essentially eat whatever I want as long as I keep the carbs within range.

Iím really struggling with the low carb dietary changes and donít know what to eat so that I can be satisfied and healthy so I eat a lot of fats, like natural peanut butter, etc. I donít really care for this diet as I would prefer to eat more carbs and less fat and protein, but my body seems to have a hard time processing the carbs.

So thatís where my diet is at. I work out HARD with a trainer who kicks my booty three times a week (Tabata) and I also walk several times per week. I look a lot fitter but my weight has not budged a single pound in over 8 months! !!

I know I need to address my diet but the reason I donít really watch what I eat because in college I had a bit of an eating disorder. I found out that what worked for me then was to NOT obsess, count calories, modify my diet, etc. However, I feel I might have reached another unhealthy extreme. Now that I would like to lose the weight I have gained and I have NO idea where to start since Iíve been so ďanti dietingĒ for years.

Another challenge I have is that I attend work dinners as well as eat out with my husband frequently. I am very much a ďfoodieĒ and although I donít make terrible choices, eating in restaurants might be derailing my efforts somewhat.

So, this is where I am. I really need to assess and address my diet and start making some changes, but I am afraid to start and afraid Iíll start obsessing and/or be tempted binge.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where or how I can get started?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Getting started but I've got major ISSUES :) (and no weight loss in 8 months)

Hi, It would serve you well to do at least one hour of intense cardio exercise a day. It will make your body a more efficient calorie, fat and sugar burning machine. Walking does not cut it because for someone your age you need to get your heart rate to at least 130 beats per minute to spike your metabolism enough to continually burn calories even hours after you are finished. Choose your activity be it treadmill, elliptical stair stepper etc then buy a heart rate monitor, worn like a watch it will give you real time info on your heart rate and get to work. It is not fun or comfortable but if done daily you will lose weight, and get out of the prediabetic zone with just mild tweaking of your diet. How do I know all this........because I am a carbon copy of you....... I had high sugar and could not lose weight until I started my cadio program and now good sugar and lost 35 lbs in just a few years. For more info just search "target heart rate". Good luck!

Closed Thread

Tags
weight loss