It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

rosepress HB User
Real Life Hit Me This Morning... I don't want to be a statistic.

I am overweight. Have been my whole life. I am Italian and Italian mothers use food to show their love...I know because I have become my mother. My mother, however, was not overweight, so she must have REALLY loved me.

I can no longer blame anyone for being overweight. No one put a gun to my head to make me eat. I was weak and still am, but here is what got to me. I went out with my girlfriends last night. It has been awhile since we have gone out, so I got out my nice capris that I usually wear when I go out. Its been awhile since I have gone out...honestly, so it was a complete surprise to me when NOTHING fit me. I had gotten larger to the point that I realized then and there, in the privacy of my bedroom that I had NOTHING to wear...I was depressed to say the least. I did, however, find one pair of "fat" pants tucked away in the back of my closet. It really bothered me to wear them. I made a vow last night that I have to CHANGE and that I am putting my health at risk. The reason it didn't get me before is because I spend my days in stretchy gym shorts around the house, to the market and what have you.

I thought about it all night...what was I going to do? Been to Weight Watchers more times than I want to admit. I never last more than a few weeks. I didn't want to do Atkins, was tired of throwing my bread to the birds and being crabby. I searched and searched the web...then, I just decided to cut my caloric intake. I remember someone saying, not sure who it was, some nutrition person, anyway,they said it best when asked how do you lose weight? They said, "eat less, and move more".

When I woke up to see one of my favorite actors have died at 51, James Gandolfini, it REALLY hit me. I am 53. I don't want to die. I want to be around for my children and their children. I have abused my body for so long, I am ashamed. I can not predict if I will be successful, after all I have tried and tried before, but this time I have something I didn't have before...FEAR. Its not just about looking good anymore, its my health, and although right now, I don't have any heart or blood pressure issues, I do have Osteoarthritis and back issues. I had to quit work due to this and most of my days are filled with pain, so I can not move like I use to. I am joining a swimming club where I can use water to exercise suggested by my doctors. But my doctors and friends are not going to be around 24/7 to make sure I STAY on track. Its all up to me.

Wish me luck. God Bless you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
Re: Real Life Hit Me This Morning... I don't want to be a statistic.

Fear is a VERY good motivator. Just remember not to FORGET that feeling.

Calorie counting combined with reasonable exercise is the best way to lose the weight. Forget the fads, forget the "lose 15 pounds this month" nonsense, forget Atkins.

My eyes were opened the same way...all I had was a single pair of FAT jeans under a pile of 20 pair that were too tight. I'd have thrown them out but kept them only because they were useful when my back went out and I could not bear any pressure on my lower back.

Down 10# in 10 weeks...20 more to go. I now have 3 pairs of jeans that fit.

Last edited by Voxx976; 07-13-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

mamaskoby HB User

Sounds like we are on the same path!!
I always put my kids and everyone else ahead of me, but this is enough! At 46 I realize I need to make changes or I will end like you said "a statistic!"
Also, need to be better role model for my children, so lets get going!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-17-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

brokenweed HB User

Exercise can help the back and arthritis pain. Walking uphill helps my husband's back pain. Going downhill makes it worse. Cardio and resistance training help with the arthritis. Do not try to do weights that are too heavy.

Reply Reply