HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   West Nile Virus (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/west-nile-virus/)
-   -   My poor nephew! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/west-nile-virus/207899-my-poor-nephew.html)

computris2 09-14-2004 04:46 PM

My poor nephew!

Just more of a vent than anything really. But if you suspect West Nile please don't mess around with it. My nephew is 7 years old and was very sick for a couple of days...he had a fever of 104.7 before my sister took him to the emergency room. To make a long story short. He could'nt eat and wouldn't drink, felt sick to his stomach, and would just sleep and cry. It was a miserable situation to watch him go through. The Doctor told my sister that just a few more hours without treatment, and he would not he here today. Please take care of yourself, and if you suspect at all that you or someone you know might have the Virus...seek help from a medical profesional. In the meen time, put on the highest level of deet you can find on yourself, even over you clothes. Those beggers can eat through some thinner clothing.

:wave: Computris2

lifter123 09-14-2004 08:10 PM

Re: My poor nephew!

what area are you living in?

computris2 09-15-2004 08:26 PM

I live about an hour North of St. Louis MO.

PBABY 09-21-2004 06:43 PM

computris2,

I'm sorry to hear about your nephew. I don't know if the specifics on this virus, but I hope he is able to recover. So young.... But anyway, I have been kinda worried about here b/c they have discovered 3 people in the state where I live that have gotten it. Yes, they are about 200-300 miles away, but I live in the South and that hurricane came through and up through my state (Alabama) and I'm worried that the humidity from that storm has exposed some more people than just those 3 to the virus. And plus, people in the city I live in are NOTORIOUS for having...let's say "not very good cleaning habits" when it comes to their homes and front yards (old tires in the yard, old linens lying in the grass, etc.). They are just asking for this virus. I wish they would wake up!! But anyway, I hope everything turns out for the best for your nephew!!

computris2 09-23-2004 07:12 PM

Thank you so much PBABY, my nephew is fine now, a slow but certain recovery. I'm sorry to hear that people in your area are not more careful about controling west nile virus spead. The only thing you can control is yourself. Take care of you! It is a horible thing for anyone to get. Rembember to cover bare skin, and use Deet after 5:00 in the eavning. Best wishes, Computris2

:wave:

Ratatosk 09-30-2004 08:53 AM

We were a little worried 'cuz DH developed a fever of about 103 for several days -- said he had a headache, that was it. Finally went away but we were worried he had WNV. Just met a person yesterday who'd been diagnosed a month ago, lost about 40 pounds. Said he had a fever and stomach problems. He'd been doing an appraisal on some vacant land that was kinda swampy. Scary stuff!

Josh McGrath 10-10-2004 01:23 PM

Hope youre nephew gets well..or is well.

Keep in mind that west nile has been around for thousands of years. And, for every person that knows they have it, there are 3000 more that had it and never knew they had it.

Hope I eased ya'll's mind a little :)

scsiguru 10-21-2004 07:05 PM

I'm glad everything is OK now. That WN stuff is nothing to mess around with. We had 2 local people die a couple of years ago in the big outbreak locally. I always put bug spray (with deet) on my 8 year old whenever she needs to be outdoors at dusk and night. Can never be too careful...scary stuff!

Take care..John

party_guy_2008 01-05-2005 04:41 PM

I live about 2 hours north of St.Louis and we had reports of horses having it...

saraht1 01-07-2005 05:42 PM

Josh

Exactly what i wanted to say

Needzhelp 01-28-2005 10:14 PM

My little cousin died from the virus 2 1/2 years ago. He was only 5. It was such a hard thing to go through. He went to the hospital with the very first symptons and they told my aunt that it was just a cold. It built up to such a very hard virus that there was no chance of him waking up from the coma. He woke up from the coma right before he died and told his dad that he was going to leave now. Hearing that broke me out in tears. He was so young.

divadebi 09-17-2006 08:55 AM

A very prominent trial attorney in my city went fishing near his rural summer home and contracted meningitis. At first they thought he had a stroke since his head was hurting so bad, but delaying treatment was his demise. Young man, (young in my terms - 40 ish), active in the community and well-liked. Mosquitos are as deadly as the terrorists. I live on the river and have a spectacular view, but I am very circumspect about how long I remain outside and push the envelope because you gotta keep the numbers on your side.

Health food stores along with many other grocery stores, CVC, whatever, have wonderful topical smell good treatments that repel these buggers so take that pre-emptive strike because it is a war with the elements. I read up on these different strains of the virus and some come from rabbits, birds, and racoons. if you are in a remote rural area away from general occupied areas where the health department mosquito spraying is done, you better BEWARE!!! Sermon done.:blob_fire