It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

Pat_S HB User
Post CDC Case Counts West Nile

This probably is common knowledge, but I thought I'd post the main page for the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for West Nile information and case counts.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/

When West Nile began to spread on the east coast, I started watching the weekly case counts in different states and counties (this was when they still kept track on a weekly basis, and the way it spread west across the country was frightening!).

We've been lucky on the east coast, not to have experienced the enormous epidemic that was seen in the Great Lakes area summer 2003, and the interior western states summer of 2004. Maybe it will just fall off into the Pacific Ocean?

Be careful out there. I know that during the summer in the southeast, you can't even walk to the mailbox without being attacked by mosquitoes.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: CDC Case Counts West Nile

We in the tropical south are born immune to West Nile. We get mosquito bitten in winter, summer, spring, and fall. If you hear of people getting West Nile down here, it is because they came from a climate where mosquitos are not very active, or they have a compromised immune system from other disease. Usually, people get West Nile, and shrug it off in a few days never knowing they had it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

By the way, the number of cases the media reports and the number of ACTUAL cases is WAY WAY off!
It was no where near as bad as the news said it was in 2003. I had viral meningitis that year and until 1 month after I was well I thought I had West Nile. It takes a LONG time for the lab to diagnose.
I was interviewed by my local county health people and two people fromthe CDC.
Don't believe the hype! It's a big ploy to get you to buy more pesticides than you need! Unless you are alredy sick, very young or very old you really don't need to worry that much about it.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
(male)

lloopy HB User

West nile virus came to this country in 1999 and is spreading as birds become infected. The birds can get an immunity that results in regional cycles of human infection. Some mutation of the virus can cause a recycle into areas that had reduced cases for a number of years as the birds become infected again. It is not true that people from the southern U.S. are immune. When your region is being hit, you better believe the "hype" and use DEET!

Closed Thread