It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
(male)

Veedski HB User
My story with west nile

When i was 16, getting ready for my first day at football practice for highschool. After the 2nd week i started to get a bit of a sore throat. I thought nothing of it so i just left it alone. Then after the next practice i started getting these red dots all over my legs and arms, I asked my coach what these were and he said they were just heat rash. Then the symptoms started to pile on left and right. I went to the doctor got some tests done to see what i had they put me on amoxicillian and sent me home for some rest. I had bad headaches 24/7, fever, extreme pains in legs(could barely stand up), I had a stiff neck, I was confused all the time, my muscles were very weak, and i passed out a few times. It took a few weeks for one set of my results too come back in and my doctor said i had a mucus pnemonia and the amoxicillian was not strong enough to help me, so they had to put me on pills that were around 10$ a pill but boy ill tell ya they sure worked. I think it took me about a month for me to fully recover, and my doctors think it may have given me some nerve damage in my legs. I pray to god that no one else had to go through what i went through. About 2 weeks after i recovered the hospital called and said i tested positive for west nile. I hope they've speeded up the proccess of getting that test done quicker because a month and a half may be to late for someone.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
(female)

IwishIwereaman HB User
Re: My story with west nile

Ya, my mom is 53 and has/had it..I'm not sure how long its officially in your system..but, they figured it out in 7 days, we thought that was forever!! She in recovery now at a nursing home so she can be watched closely, and work on her muscle strenghth. Thanks for your story, what are are you from

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

lbright HB User

Veedski,
What was the medication that they gave you?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

2 year ago, my son age 20 contracted West Nile. He had a fever of over 104. His neck was stiff and he couldn't move it from side to side. He had a very sore throat and terrible headache. His fevers were spiking so high that when they broke he would soak sheets. He wet the bed twice! He was tested afterward and the doc said he had it in his blood test, positive. It took him about 6 weeks to recover. The doc also said a lot of people test positive for it and don't have any symptoms.

In my hometown, they recommend wearing long sleeve shirts and long pants sprayed with DEET. It is over 90 degrees here. I can't imagine doing that unless i was outside for a longtime and it was evening or early morning or I was around a pond or lake. It's scarey though. He was and is way underweight weighing only 130 and is 6 feet tall. He works out in the heat all day doing yard work.

Could he get again or does he have antibodies in his blood make him immune? If anyone knows, please reply. Thanks.

Last edited by rosebuddy; 06-23-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread