It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

IwishIwereaman HB User
Unhappy My Mother Got West Nile...

Would like to share story, and hopefully get some answers. 10 days ago i took my 53 yr old mother to hospital w/ nausea,vomitting, chills,sore,light sensitiviy, and sorta vertigo. They ran tests, and admitted her. That evening her temperature reached 104.8 degrees, and was no longer in communication with me, but just basically slept, or was knocked out. By next day, she was still completely out of it, and that lasted 2 more full days. By The third day they had us wearing masks and gloves to see her for fear of her being contagious. They started saying they were sure she had some type of menigitis, but didn't know if it was viral or bacterial. She was on 4 antibiotics, going through her i.v. She began acknowledging us on the 5th day or so, and everyday seemed a little bit better. On the 7th day, they told us it was West Nile that had caused Menigitis. On day 8 they moved her to a nursing home so she could be watched over for a litle bit, and work on her therapy. Her muscles not too strong, but again everyday she doing a bit better. They have her on a Honey textured diet (she also has M.D), which she hardly eats cuz its horrible food. I am glad, and can tell she is improving significanty, but now i do see some confusion still. Small things...I curious if this is permanent. She alos having troubles seeing, and no food taste right to her..anybody else know any more on the aftermath of wEst nile?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
(male)

lloopy HB User
Re: My Mother Got West Nile...

Your mother might have had meningitis also. What muscles are weak? If breathing is OK, she has a good shot at recovery. Some MD's believe it might take up to two years to overcome the problems. Every case is different and your mother is young and will probably recover more quickly.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
(male)

jraney HB User
Re: My Mother Got West Nile...

Your moms story sounds like what I went through, they didn't know what was making me so violently ill that they put me in isolation and basically seen behind glass. There are so many different variations of West Nile, some people had one like WN Fever, then others like myself had the picnic basket of West Nile. Recovery is a roller coaster ride,

Jack
West Nile Encephalitis/Meningitis/Post-Polio 2004

Closed Thread