It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
(male)

ryanbabs HB User
Question about West Nile Virus...

Can West Nile Virus be a slower, chronic also? Just curious because I live in Tarrant county (Texas) and we have had cases here.

I did just recently test positive for Lyme's, but I was suspicious between the two diseases because of my neurological symptoms: twitches, tremor, numbness, myoclonus, etc...

I also remember seeing dead birds (2) around the apartments we lived in back in 2002 when I started getting symptoms.

What type of test do they do for West Nile?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Re: Question about West Nile Virus...

Ryan,

I think that the highest viremia in humans occurs a week to few weeks after infection. Also, the diagnosis of WNV is made by examining serum for antibodies, but there is some problem of selectivity if someone contracted a related disease (e.g. Japanese encephalitis, or other encephalitides). Also, I can't remember the length of time that antibodies can be detected post-infection, but I recall from one of the CDC WNV meeting talks that there was an issue with detecting antibodies from a previous year in hosts; I just can't remember if this was human hosts, or avians.

Anyway, the CDC website should have most of the answers to the questions you seek because the talks from the annual meetings are always incorporated into their site.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
(male)

lloopy HB User

Ryan,

There is a group of MD's tracking a large population of WNV patients in Houston to determine how long the antibodies are retained. I believe they have some that were infected two and three years ago. ( removed )

[ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 09-17-2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 09-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
(male)

ryanbabs HB User

Are there any treatments for West Nile Virus?

Closed Thread