It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

iamme29 HB User
Exclamation How long will this fatigue last?

I went to the hospital with severe headache, nasea, and dizziness in September. After going through a spinal tap, I was diagnosed with meningitis. I was hospitalized for 3 days, and out of work for 2 weeks. I later found that I had west nile. I have been SO TIRED. This happened over a month ago, and I'm so tired. Am I ever going to feel better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

alathea HB User
Re: How long will this fatigue last?

In many ways West Nile Virus could be regarded as virtually identical to Poliomyalitis. Because mostly we've been vaccinated against polio we don't actually get polio but nature abhoring a vacuum finds another more or less identical condition to fill the ecological space made by the reduction in polio cases.

The relavance to your situation may be that supplements which have been proved useful with those suffering the late effects of Polio (and me/cfs/ms fatigue) may also be useful to treat your post viral fatigue.

I used 2g of Carnitine morning and afternoon to deal with my mental/physical fatigue there was some research done in Australia in 2002 on Serum Carnitine levels in Post Polio Syndrome.

3g of Omega 3 daily to counter the effects of inflamatory response.

Vitamin D to enable the omega to be absorbed into the cells and to counter any tendency for the immune system to get carried away and create an autoimmune scenario.

You don't have to use Vitamin D supplements if you live somewhere where the sun is sufficiently strong for the duration to enable your skin to synthesise it for free. There is a calculator online which enables you to work this out given your latitude,longitude and altitude. However, if you live North of Boston USA you can be fairly sure, particularly if your skin is black (blacks need 6 to 10 times more exposure to obtain the same effect) that this time of year the sun is too weak to achieve optimum levels so supplementing Vitamin D is desirable bearing in mind we use 3000iu daily. If you're white your skin will generate 10-12000iu of vitamin D in half an hour of sulight/sunlamp use.

Last edited by alathea; 12-07-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread