It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2002, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Angry Found Dead Bird!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All, I was in my back yard watching my kids swim in our pool, when I noticed a dead bird. I called emergency vet since my vet was closed and they told me to wrap it up and put it in my freezer until I call my Health Unit Monday morning. I'm just paranoid since birds have been dying from West Nile Virus. I'll let you know what the outcome is. Becky

Old 06-23-2002, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
I just got done telling my girlfriend that if you see any dead birds your suppose to call it in. The west nile virus is really bad. Your suppose to dump out any standing water in your area, if you have a bird bath, change the water daily. I've been searching around my place to make sure water doesn't stand in some container. We've been getting so much rain here, the bugs are really going to start hatching like crazy. Let us know about the bird. Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2002, 04:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Angry

Hi All, I called the mosqito control and told them about the bird I found, then they gave me a local number to call which I did. This number I called said they aren't taking any more birds. They said for in my area already came back positive for West Nile Virus. I wanted them to test this bird because they spray the whole street that the bird is found. We have mosqitoes bad here because of the woods and ditches. I can't open my door to much because hundreds of mosquitoes come in just in two seconds. I have 4 children and two of them woke up this morning with 4-5 mosquito bites. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of mosquitoes? I'm going to make my kids wear repellant at night till we get these pest under control. Thanks for any advice!!!!! Becky

Old 06-25-2002, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
hollygirl-would you mind telling me where you're from-just state-i have lots of mosquitoes-just curious

Old 06-25-2002, 08:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
wattagirl, I live in Louisiana. We have mosqitoes bad here(my house any way) I have ditches on both sides of my street along with woods in front of and behind my house. They seem to live under my carport. Becky

Old 06-27-2002, 06:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollygirl, is there any room in your budget to buy some kind of netting at a fabric store and mount above the beds of your childrens beds? I supose a hook and a hanger would hold it coz its not very heavy material. Just thought maybe it would be better than sleeping with bug spray on your children. Might have to sew a couple of seams to make a tent over their beds. What do you think about this Idea? Diana

Old 06-27-2002, 07:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
The netting is a great idea if your kids are old enough not get tangled in it or try to pull it down while playing.

Tea tree oil is a natural mosquito repellent [see link]. Have heard that eating raw garlic can also help.
[url="http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Melaleuca_quinquenervia.html"]http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Melaleuca_quinquenervia.html[/url]

Old 06-27-2002, 07:16 AM   #8
Inactive

BeautifulMess HB User
Hi guys, I live in south Florida, and the mosquitos here 'stand flat footed' Our county has to go up in the plane once a month , and the trucks spray the neighborhoods twice a week. I know what you mean about the swarms that bombard the door if open,, we just had a good million or so stuck to our ceilings,, our white ceiling was black,,,,goosebump type,,,we are in the midst of looking into natural repelling plants for the mosquitos and black flies (thanks to our great horse community) My lil ones dont even like to play outside in our big wonderul yard, due to the boogers........and not to forget my adba apbt had to be treated for heartworms at the tune of $1500, and that was aquired after being treated monthly with HrtgrdPlus, lol. I do believe just last week I read a report that mosquitos are the #1 carrier of diseases today. YIKES! We 'HAD' a biogist who worked for mosquito control here in my county who swore that mosquitos dont bite after 8pm,, ANYWHERE, EVER !!!! To say the least he was fired the same year,, we are absolutely swamped with mosquitos from the time i get up, 5am,, til i go to bed, 10 or after. Cant get sun for the boogers, cant have company over they freak out, no more bbq's , heck my family dont even want to come visit, lol. SORRY FOR THE BABBLIN http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif, Im good for it

Old 06-27-2002, 07:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Thanks for of your advice. I'll will have to try it. I have to let my kids play outside at certain times of the day because they and I have been getting bit through the spray. We have been using "OFF" and I have also been trying "DEEP WOODS" neither seem to help. Is this crazy or what? I don't remember mosqitoes biting through that. Thanks again!!!!!! Becky

Old 06-27-2002, 10:22 AM   #10

DeNIaL7910 HB User
Citronella oil/essence works well as mosquito repellent, also its non toxic.

You can also buy candles which has citronella aroma.

Old 06-27-2002, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
i don't know if it works but i was told that the bath oil from avon-skin so soft-will repel mosquitoes-not the lotion-it might be worth a try-bathing in it before bed would be alot better than that stinky stuff if it works-good luck

Old 06-27-2002, 10:52 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Wink

Hi Everyone, Thanks again for everyones advice. I will have to try the net trick and I do have cintronela candles. I light them every time we are outside. I didn't even think about the skin-so-soft oil. My mom used to make my sister and I wear the skin-so-soft lotion. I'm sure the sss oil will work as well. thanks again for everyones help!!! Becky

Old 06-28-2002, 05:03 AM   #13

beebauser HB User
just a thought...
I have noticed that if you eat sweets...they love ya!
my son eats way too much sugar. I dont eat much at all, we can be standing next to each other and he will get attacked...and not one bite for me...
anyone else notice this?
bee

Old 06-28-2002, 05:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

The no sugar thing may help but not where I live, I don't hardly eat any sugar and they just love me. Our national bird is the mosquitoes, lol. It is a joke in minn. We've had alot of rain here and now I keep yard bug spray by the front door to spray the area around the door to keep them at bay. I use the amway insect repellant on my skin, seems to work good. I just hate using it though. We also have alot of bitting flys here too. They take big bites. I have some tea tree oil and I know you can't use it full strength, wonder what diff. things would be good to mix it in. Could a person mix it with pure aloe?
Hollygirl, glad your kiddies are old enough not to get caught in the netting, Jay Tor glad you mentioned that. Sometimes the brain isn't functioning on all cylindars. It's suppose to be up in the 90's the rest of the week here, I'm sure the bugs will just love that. We live by a swampy pond area too. The land of 10,000. lakes. a trillion mosquitoes and 4 fish. Just a standard joke for ya. Take care and don't let the bugs bug ya too much. Diana

Old 06-28-2002, 08:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi Everyone, As for suger I wouldn't know b/c Idon't let my kids eat to much of it b/c they are already way to hyper. And I don't eat alot of it either. It doesn't seem to agree with me. I still get attacked by them, on the other hand my husband eats more suger than we do but the mosquitoes doesn't seem to like him. I wonder what makes them bite some people more than others. It's kinda strange if you ask me. I like more sour things like pickles, cucumbers Ect. Becky

Closed Thread