It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

Star5779 HB User
Question Question

Hi,

For the last three weeks I have been very sick on and off. It started on July 4th with what I thought it was the stomach flu. I was sick for four days and it got better for a couple of days. Then I got 101 of fever every night, sore throat and joint ache (ankles, knees, wrist, fingers, elbows, etc). The joint ache keeps switching to different joints; I never know which joint is going to be hurting. There are days the pain is so severe I would rather not move, unfortunately I don't have that option. We tested everything (with negative results); my doctor was ready to start testing for autoimmune illnesses. Oh, after a week a developed a rash on and off. My sister-in-law (who is physician) finally said that we should test for West Nile Virus. Finally on Thursday the test came back positive. My doctor said all I can do is rest and drink fluids. She told me to take Advil and Tylenol for the fever and pain. She did gave me Vicodin for the pain at night.

My question is for people who had West Nile Virus, is it normal for you to feel better and then back to feeling sick? I have days (usually 2) that I feel better and I start thinking I'm getting better. Then it starts all over again I get the 100- 101 fever, sore throat, really tired, and joint ache. Lately when I'm feeling really sick my back hurts bad. Please let me know if this is similar to your experiences. I have to say I have never been this sick before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

skeeterbit07 HB User
Re: Question

well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT, you may be in for a long ride......I was infected a year ago (Aug 12, 2007) and I am STILL having the sore throat, painful joints and muscle tissues, frequent headaches and of course, INSOMNIA!!!I was diagnosed and of course, I always said I would get better and get back to work as a mail carrier for the US Postal Service. Well, I have filed for disability from Social Security, as I can no longer do my job (extreme fatigue) and at least once a week I sleep for 12-13 hours a night (after an afternoon nap), so my body has become somewhat unpredictable. I take vicodin (or oxycodone if the vicodin stops working) for extreme pain-I was told that I have fibromyalgia and that the virus from the WNV caused the fibromyalgia-something about the virus and the immune system, etc etc.-I wish you the best of luck-some people still have issues after years of WNV-

Last edited by moderator2; 08-07-2008 at 05:16 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Closed Thread