It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

heather82 HB User
Question Questions and problems

I have a few questions:

What exactly is the test for West Nile Virus? About 5 years ago I got close to 100 mosquito bites and got very ill with a high fever and headache about a week later. I went to a clinic and the doctor told me it was probable that I had WNV, but that the test for it was dangerous and that only if I became sick enough to be hospitalized would I receive the test. Eventually I got recovered but I still do not feel like myself. My glands are still swollen and I often get migraines, fevers and sore throats, in addition to having no energy and sore joints. I feel too fatigued and sore to hold down a job. Is it possible that I have permanent damage from WNV? Can they test me for antibodies 5 years after (possibly) being infected? I have tried explaining this to several doctors, but since I was never "formally" diagnosed, none of them believe me.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
(female)

Zoie97 HB User
Re: Questions and problems

Hi Heather
The test for WNV is just a simple blood test....no expensive testing, that sounds more like a spinal type test, I had WNV a year ago September, with your same symptoms, which I was told is "West nile Fever" I was sick with headaches....almost flu like.....recovered and about 10 days later, got it again, which led me to believe, it was more malaria like....but, I have been unable to find any info on that part of it.....its almost like the Doctors dont want to tell you...... I did find out that even if you do get the more serious Encephalitis (sp) form of WNV, there is nothing they can do for you, other than give "comfort" care ( even if you end up in the hospital)
Susan

" An insane person does not question their sanity"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

seekfind HB User
Re: Questions and problems

A malarial like illness that you can get is Babesios--it's from a tick bite but there's a theory that mosquitoes may carry it as well.

Tick-borne illnesses, such as Lyme Disease are much more common than WNV, so it's another area worth investigating.

Closed Thread