It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

West Nile Virus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
(male)

gcoxusa HB User
Analyzing mosquitoes for West Nile

I recently saw a report on the evening news that said the county will spray to kill mosquitoes in specific areas if they find a mosquito infected with West Nile Virus in that area. The report showed mosquito traps and a technician using a microscope. I would like to know how could one tell if the mosquito is infected by viewing it under a microscope?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: Analyzing mosquitoes for West Nile

The evening news uses stock images that often are only vaguely related to the story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
(male)

gcoxusa HB User

Okay - I donít doubt what you said at all. Still, the question remains so let me state it another way. I have a bunch of mosquitoes that I collected out in the field. I think Iím capable of separating them into different species. How do I tell which ones carry the West Nile Virus?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You need a DNA analysis kit (PCR). It can't be done by just looking at the mosquitoes, with the naked eye or with a microscope.

Luckily, about 80% of people who get West Nile have no symptoms at all, and less than 1% become seriously ill.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
(male)

gcoxusa HB User

I appreciate your reply - that makes a lot of sense. This will probably seem like a silly question but I am new at this... could you recommend one or two DNA analysis kits that would enable me to do this work?

Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The CDC has West Nile test kits, but I'm not sure if they are selling to private citizens. Also, you might need other equipment to make it work, and it's not exactly "plug and play," PCR requires some technical expertise.

Closed Thread

Tags
mosquito