It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
littlesheep1999

Question polycystic ovary syndrome question?

hi, i thought i would write a seperate bit here for those who also suffer with polycystic ovary syndrome..

I had an ovary removed when i was 17 as i had a huge cyst that needed emergency treatment, i am now 22 and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome on my only ovary, it is full of tiny little cysts, my testosterone is 3.2 where as a normal womans is 2.4 i am growing hair on my breats, chin and thick hair on my belly and upper legs, i feel as if i am turning into a man, also i am growing obeser every day, i only used to weigh 138 ponds now i weigh 230 pounds within 3 years, just wont budge, doc has given me metformin to take it is used for diabeties 2, he said it will help me loose weight, and when i loose the weight apparently my testerone will drop and it will also help with plycystic ovary syndrome, apparently sugar/fat/carbs feed your kidneys and then your ovarys apparently and the metformin supposed to help break it all down, anyways i want to here from someone who alsi suffers from this and has been offered metforming.. thankyou

------------------
donna

also as you know with polycystiv ovarys periods are usually non exsistant, anyways dont know if this is anything to with it BUT my legs are always aching, no bsuises or anything, but i fear that whast if i got a bloodclot or something?

[This message has been edited by littlesheep1999 (edited 01-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
hi, I don't know that I can help you much, but I had a much smaller but similar problem a few years ago. my period just stopped coming so I started looking into natural herbs that would help my problem. Over a period of time and much studying and looking up stuff I came across this herb 'vitex' I started taking it and I started getting normal again, I've lost a bunch of weight I gained (I've done a lot of bike riding though) and these little black hairs on my chin haven't been nearly as bad. after a time of 6 months when my periods came on time and everything was normal I stopped taking vitex and am all better now. Maybe you can look into natural ways to get better? most of the time the medical field is not the best thing for us human beings. because we are flesh and God made herbs on the earth for mans use. hope I can help you in some way.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:37 AM   #3
littlesheep1999

good point about the natural herbs.....

------------------
donna

Old 01-05-2003, 08:15 PM   #4

RainbowBright HB User
Talking

I had something similar and also went on vitex for 6 months and it helped with the aching pains, reduced bloating and helped to regulate my periods, but did nothing for the excess hair growth and acne...like you I have too much testosterone, but I do not have PCOS. I was put on vitex angus cactus (also known as chaste tree) by a naturopath, but first I was tested to make sure that I did not have pcos - apparently you cannot go on vitex if you have pcos. Also if you are on the BC pill then vitex can interfere with its effectiveness. Herbal medicine is great, but you should always seek the advice of a professional, like over the counter medicine it can be dangerous to your health if taken incorrectly. You should never try and diagnose yourself and self prescribe herbal medicine, I would talk to a qualified naturopath before taking anything. People have this idea that because it is "just" herbs and all natural it is safe to take, but this is not always the case and care must be taken. My naturopath and DR have both recommended that I go on Diana 35 and my sister who has PCOS and many of the symptoms you described has also been told to go on it. It is a BCP that regulates your hormones and was designed for women suffering from excess hair growth and acne due to out of wack hormones...talk to you Dr about it and if you do decide to try any natural remedies make sure you tell your Dr so they can tell you if it is dangerous to combine with your present medication.

For more info on Diane 35 do a serach they have a website (i'm not allowed to give you the address). Also I put a post on the acne and women's sexual health forum and got heaps of helpful replies...check it out.

Take care.

RB

Old 01-06-2003, 03:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Agnust Castus is another good herbal remedy for helping regulate hormones and helping period problems generally. I would assume it could help PCOS, as it helps to regulate the hormones.

My homeopath gave it to me as I was having problems with PMS and bad periods and she said that this would be helpful whilst she waited for my homeopathic treatment to take effect. So far it has been great and my PMS has been greatly reduced and the crippling stomach pains I used to have with my periods have also been a lot better. I have been on it for a month now and have already noticed a difference. My homeopath said that it can safely be taken for periods of 6 months.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:00 AM   #6

RainbowBright HB User
Talking

agnus cactus is vitex. I was told by my naturopath that it cannot be taken by someone suffering from pcos.

RB

[This message has been edited by RainbowBright (edited 01-06-2003).]

Old 01-06-2003, 08:19 AM   #7
littlesheep1999

Question

??

Old 01-07-2003, 03:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Sorry, I did not know that. Were you given a reason why it is not good in PCOS?

Old 01-07-2003, 08:29 AM   #9
littlesheep1999

metformin is good for the use of pcos...... dont know how it just is used alot... something to with helping break down the sugar in you body.. apparently ppl with pcos cant shift the sugar that is fed to the kidneys and when you eat the kidneys feed the cysts????? weird i know but i will give them a try.. i am just worried though about it.. BUT firstly i am going to see how weight wathers go as i need to loose 56 pounds in weight to be my ideal 10 stone 11 pounds.. anyways wish me luck .... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

------------------
donna

Old 01-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #10

RainbowBright HB User
Talking

Hi Sarah,

No she didn't tell me, she just said that she had to make sure that I didn't have PCOS before she put me on it because you can't go on vitex/agnus cactus/chaste tree if you have PCOS. I will ask her why when I see her later this month.

RB

Closed Thread