It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2002, 08:55 AM   #1

rozar HB User
Question Fibroid concerns

In July '02 I found out that I have fibroid(s). My ob/gyn placed me on norethin x2 a day for heavy bleeding and to hopefully shrink the fibroid. Well, as of December '02 I have been experiencing numerous problems, such as, breakthrough light to mild bleeding, heavy cramping, lower back aches, pelvic pressure, constipation, kneebones aching, etc. My doctor prescribed norethin for me so that I would not bleed until I come back to see him in March '03. My concern is whether the fibroid has grown and do I a need second opinion, medical/surgery attention immediately? I don't want to wait and my ob/gyn tells me that I have no other choice but to take a hysterectomy. Can someone shed a little info for me? Thanks.

------------------

Old 12-18-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User
Red face

I would definitely suggest a second opinion. I think your doctor making you wait til March is ridiculous. There are other treatment options available.

My doctor has suspected for a few years that I have a fibroid, although it has never shown in an ultrasound. Depending on the size, number, and location of your fibroids, there are other surgical options. Since I am 29 and have no children yet, my doctor is watching me closely and will only recommend treatment to preserve my ability to have children. Fortunately, my fibroid only seems to act up with a little pain every so many months. I am on the pill and I think that is supposed to help with the systems. Possibly that could be another option for you?

I really wish you the best of luck and it would do you some good for a second opinion!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

ruth ann HB User
Hi, Rozar. I suffered for so long with fibroids, that I wanted to respond. You didn't mention your age, but just so you know, fibroids usually decrease and often disappear with menopause. I spent so long(about 2 years) exploring alternative treatments when a hysterectomy would have been the simplest solution, that I finally ended up hospitalized for severe anemia and needed blood transfusions. Only then did I realize how serious a problem fibroids can be. There is so much stuff written against hysterectomies to solve fibroids, and practically nothing written in favor of them, I feel I have to tell you my point of view. After trying everything from injections to Chinese medicine to herbs to relaxation exercises, and to exploring the numerous new treatments - endometrial ablation, etc. I finally just had a plain old hysterectomy. I did a lot of research on it, chose my dr. with care, and opted to only remove the uterus, leaving the ovaries intact (I continue to cycle but with no bleeding) and doing it "supracervically" (leaving the cervix). One year later, the scar (my fibroids had grown so large that the only way to remove them was to cut the abdomen) is barely visable. I feel fine, am relieved of the horrible bleeding and pain I once had, and my hormone levels have been tested to indicate that they are the same as a menstruating woman's. A hysterectomy can be a great solution for fibroids. For me, I only regret I didn't do it sooner. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread