It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 03:58 AM   #1

Lar HB User
Post Constant Bleeding after Loop Excision

I had a Loop Excision Procedure at the end of November. I got home and a few hours later started to bleed very heavily with huge clotting. I rushed myself to accident and emergency and they put in a pack which did not stop the bleeding. The next day they put a stitch which did help the bleeding and I was told that it was a blood vessel which had gone into spasm. I needed a blood transfusion as I had lost a lot of blood. When I got home I continued to bleed a little and gradually this bleeding got worse. A month after all of this I was still loosing blood. I went up to the colposcopy unit again on Christmas Eve and the Gyno re looped the area taking it back to fresh tissue and re quaterised it. I had quite a lot of discharge after this second procedure and the bleeding seemed to subside. However three days later I started to get a pinkie discharge that within a week had started to become blood again. I do not seem to be healing.

It is now over two weeks after the second procedure and I am still bleeding. I have not got or had an infection but I am now on my third course of anti-biotics as a precautionary measure and am wondering will I ever stop bleeding? The Gyno has been very supportive but doesn't seem to have the answers. He asked me if I had ever had problems with healing in the past. I said "No". But I do have asthma and have been on some form or another of steroids from a very early age. I asked him if this could be a cause for this type of complication. He said that it could hamper healing but is not really a main factor to my problem. He said that my case has been very complicated and he has never seen this kind of reaction to the procedure before, and the fact that I have suffered ongoing bleeding, albeit not as severe as before, is just due to the trauma from the second Loop and has told me I can come and see the department whenever I want, if only to ease my worry. I have been worried about moving about too much after all this trauma, initial it was obviously suggested to me to keep still, but to then return to my regular routine. But when I do (so far at various stages throughout my experience) this seems to make it worse again.

I want to know has anyone anywhere ever suffered from prolonged bleeding after a loop. Because, from what my research on the web suggests, you should only suffer from bleeding for a few days. I seem to be one of the very few that has this type of complication (Bleeding is the main complication of a LEEP procedure. It happens about 4% of the time but serious bleeding requiring prolonged observation, stitches or even blood transfusion are in the range of 1.5%), but nowhere and none can gives me any answers as to 'why' or 'how' to stop it. Can anyone give me some advice on supplements, dietary info or anything that could assist in my healing? Or answers as to why and how it happened in the first place?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2003, 03:46 AM   #2

Lar HB User
Anyone?
Any advice on how I can help myself heal. I would like to stop bleeding now!

Old 01-11-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
lar-i replied to your post on the sexual health board but this one is much more detailed-i'm assuming you are talking about the LEEP procedure-if so it isn't normal for you to still be having trouble from this-if you aren't satisfied with the answers yo uare getting from the doc who performed this then go somewhere else-i had the LEEP done and only spotted for a few days-

Old 01-12-2003, 03:02 PM   #4

Lar HB User
Iím not sure who else I can see to provide some answers as my gyno is the colposcopy consultant.

I wanted to look into alternative healing methods. Supplements to add to my diet or herbal remedies that can help speed up the healing process. As I feel I must be deficient in something, to cause this slow healing.

Old 01-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #5

Lar HB User
Iím not sure who else I can see to provide some answers as my gyno is the colposcopy consultant.

I wanted to look into alternative healing methods. Supplements to add to my diet or herbal remedies that can help speed up the healing process. As I feel I must be deficient in something, to cause this slow healing.

Old 01-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
i don't know anything about alternitive healing methods-sorry

Old 01-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
I'd find another doctor for another opinion and do it fast. That's not to say that your doctor isn't good, but that doctor appears to be failing you in your moment of need... and continued bleeding can make you anemic later on.

Skip the alternative health stuff for now, eat a good diet and take regular vitamins, I guess, but do find another source for another opinion before you don't have the energy to and it becomes an emergency. This sounds scary to me...
wr

Old 01-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #8

icewine_3 HB User
Angry Re: Constant Bleeding after Loop Excision

I had the same procedure like yours, but my damaged was terrible.
I got a bad infection due to heavily bleeding and it happened twice.My nails turned black and some came off, Its been a year a half, but Im still depressed. I came back from the Dermatologist yesterday and again another suggestion, this time I cant wet my nails for 2 to 4 mos. I been wearing gloves sinced. and I think it is a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lar
I had a Loop Excision Procedure at the end of November. I got home and a few hours later started to bleed very heavily with huge clotting. I rushed myself to accident and emergency and they put in a pack which did not stop the bleeding. The next day they put a stitch which did help the bleeding and I was told that it was a blood vessel which had gone into spasm. I needed a blood transfusion as I had lost a lot of blood. When I got home I continued to bleed a little and gradually this bleeding got worse. A month after all of this I was still loosing blood. I went up to the colposcopy unit again on Christmas Eve and the Gyno re looped the area taking it back to fresh tissue and re quaterised it. I had quite a lot of discharge after this second procedure and the bleeding seemed to subside. However three days later I started to get a pinkie discharge that within a week had started to become blood again. I do not seem to be healing.

It is now over two weeks after the second procedure and I am still bleeding. I have not got or had an infection but I am now on my third course of anti-biotics as a precautionary measure and am wondering will I ever stop bleeding? The Gyno has been very supportive but doesn't seem to have the answers. He asked me if I had ever had problems with healing in the past. I said "No". But I do have asthma and have been on some form or another of steroids from a very early age. I asked him if this could be a cause for this type of complication. He said that it could hamper healing but is not really a main factor to my problem. He said that my case has been very complicated and he has never seen this kind of reaction to the procedure before, and the fact that I have suffered ongoing bleeding, albeit not as severe as before, is just due to the trauma from the second Loop and has told me I can come and see the department whenever I want, if only to ease my worry. I have been worried about moving about too much after all this trauma, initial it was obviously suggested to me to keep still, but to then return to my regular routine. But when I do (so far at various stages throughout my experience) this seems to make it worse again.

I want to know has anyone anywhere ever suffered from prolonged bleeding after a loop. Because, from what my research on the web suggests, you should only suffer from bleeding for a few days. I seem to be one of the very few that has this type of complication (Bleeding is the main complication of a LEEP procedure. It happens about 4% of the time but serious bleeding requiring prolonged observation, stitches or even blood transfusion are in the range of 1.5%), but nowhere and none can gives me any answers as to 'why' or 'how' to stop it. Can anyone give me some advice on supplements, dietary info or anything that could assist in my healing? Or answers as to why and how it happened in the first place?

Closed Thread