It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2003, 09:58 AM   #1

OkieGal HB User
Post Scared of my ob/gyn visit HELP!

I have not had an ob/gyn exam since before my daughter was born, she is now 7 1/2.
My last gyno had very big hand and was rough and my exam hurt so bad but he wouldn't stop. The forceps made me cramp so bad during the exam too.
This is one of the reasons I haven't had an exam in so long, also because of no health insurance and financial hardships.
Anyways I have an upcoming ob/gyn with a new gyno (a man) this monday Jan 13. I have came so close to calling and canceling because I am terrified to go.
My primary care doctor referred me to him and says he is very nice. I am going to feel very awkward sitting there in stirrups for the whole world to see my woman parts and I am scared it is going to hurt or he is going to find something.
I also have panic disorder and this does not help. I know I will come unglued during the exam if I don't keep calm. I am thinking about asking my husband to go with me. Do you think I should?
I am going to the gyno because of pain and bloating I am having in my lower stomach. Sometimes for no reason I will feel like my whole lower stomach is filling up with air then my stomach will become hard as a rock and is very tender and sore to the touch. I don't have irregular periods except for one missed period about 6 months ago. I am always tired and my back between my shoulder blades is always sore.
I am scared this doc is going to find something really really wrong. It would be my own fault because I haven't went and had an exam in so long though. I have also had caffeine cysts in my breasts for over 2 years now also. It started out in my right breast and I can squeeze my breast and a milky yellowish discharge comes out. I now have that happening in my left breast also.
I am only 28 years old but I am thinking about asking my new gyno if he will let me have a mammogram, I'm sure my insurance company will try to deny it because under my policy it says for women 40 and over only.
Do you think I should ask the doc for a mammogram too?
Sorry to make this posting so long
Please any advice from anyone would be sooo much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #2
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I think you should ask for that mammogram who cares what the health people think if you have lumps you need them checked. Get your Doc to refer you for a mammogram to ease your mind ok?
As for the OB/GYN visit bring your husband if it makes you feel better get him to hold your hand during the exam and talk to you it might make you feel better. I too have panic attacks and anxiety and I take one of my panic meds Ativan just before I go to the Docs or dentist that calms me down quite nicely. Good luck.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD for 12 years
Carpal Tunnel syndrome
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured now I think)
Teen daughters that have had medical problems and I will help and over advice on what areas I am knowledgable in.

Old 01-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Question

Also have you thought of having your intestines checked? Bloating and pain down there could be bowel related too. Just a thought.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD for 12 years
Carpal Tunnel syndrome
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured now I think)
Teen daughters that have had medical problems and I will help and over advice on what areas I am knowledgable in.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:39 PM   #4

Sweetshay30 HB User
Red face

You need to go see a GYN no matter what. Its very important to go once a year...this measure will save your life. If you want to be around to see your daughter grow up and have a family then that should be incentive enough to go and stop being afraid. Y es there are bad Doc but there are also alot of good ones.
Dont be afraid because of one Docs big hands....think of yourself and your daughter!! GO GO GO GO

Old 01-10-2003, 05:26 AM   #5

cheyanna2 HB User
I know how scary it can be after you have had a bad experience. My very first appointment when I was 16 was horrible and I never went back to that doctor. But ever doctor I have had since has been wonderful. I actually like going for my visit once a year because at that appointment I feel like I have the doctors full attention and and the doctor I have really seems to want to know about how I am doing and if I am having any problems. Like the above poster stated, there are a lot of great doctors out there and it's very important to your health to go every year. Also you will be setting the ground work for your daughter, showing her how important her health is and how to take care of it. I would definitely take you husband if it would make you feel better. My friend always takes her husband.

Old 01-10-2003, 10:43 PM   #6

OkieGal HB User
Thank you all so much for your support.
I know that I need to have this done no matter if I want to or not. My husband knows how scared I am (he didn't like how rough my last doctor was either) and he is going to go with me to the doc.
The nurse said the doc likes to schedule appt's right before my period is about to start that was the tests will come back more accurately. But I thihk I might start my period before monday. I hope not, I'd like to go and get this exam over with.
Thank You All So Much!

Old 01-13-2003, 02:10 AM   #7
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Okiegal,
I have a fear of having yearly female exams due to having a severe infection in a few of the Discs in my back in 97...Ever since then it hurts and is very uncomfortable to lay on a hard flat surface.It bothers me so much I can have a Panic Attack from the fear!!!Also the exam tables are narrow and makes a heavier gal feel leary...Im sorry to hear that the Gyn you went to before was rough and wouldn't stop.Since you have PD if you feel comfortable in taking Xanax I would take a Xanax and deep breathe before going.I would also call in advance and talk to them about your fears.If you have a walk-man I would listen to a relaxation tape or soft music that eases you.You can also visualize a calm and soothing place you would like to be.Your husband can also go to offer you support..Regarding your worry about the doctor finding something wrong,if he does it can be caught and treated.If you have PD,do you drink Decaf Coffee or regular?I have PD and I do all I can to steer clear from Caffeine as its a stimulant and makes me more Anxious.I had a light blue discharge from my R breast a few years ago that I still have and I had a Mammogram,Ultrasound and Culture/Smear.I was the same age as you were when I had these tests.I dont see any reason why your Gyn wouldn't order for you to have these.Young women can have problems just the same as older women(not saying its anything serious).I have a Gyn appt the 20th and just like you Im dreading it..Would rather have a horse whipping,but I know I must have it done..I wish you all the best and will be there in spirit holding you hand Please let us know how it went..

Love,
Jasmine

Old 01-13-2003, 05:51 AM   #8

cheyanna2 HB User
Okiegal, I know your appointment is today and I hope it goes well!!! Let us know

Old 01-14-2003, 06:54 AM   #9

OkieGal HB User
Thank you all for the encouraging posts.
I started my period on Sunday night so I had to cancel :-(
I was really ready to get this over with too.
The docs office told me to call back to reschedule after I stopped.
This period was really weird too. My back cramped all day and all night sunday and I started spotting on sunday night, I started feeling like I had the flu and getting cold chills. I went and took a warm bath and then my period started monday morning. Does anyone else feel sick and have bad lower back pain before their period starts?
I have leakage in both breasts from my cysts. I do drink too many caffeinated drinks especially my soda.
I will let everyone know when my appointment is rescheduled for and what the results are. Its been so long since I had an ob/gyn visit I have kinda a stupid question :-P
When the doc has you up in the stirrups for the world to see and he is doing the pap can he tell just by looking if there is something abnormal? How long does it usually take for the doc to complete your pap and take that cold metal clamp out of you? That is the scariest part for me knowing he is going to put that thing in me and all I can do is lay there.
Thank You Everyone

Closed Thread