It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2002, 01:02 PM   #1
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Post Bluish discharge from breast

Hello,
Ive had a bluish discharge from my right breast for a couple years now.I have had a culture,smear,Mammogram, Ultrasound and Prolactin done.Nothing abnormal was found..What could be causing this?Iam a 30 year old woman that has never had a baby.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2002, 05:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I found the following on another site for you. For more info you can do a search on it.

Nipple discharge is rarely the sign of anything serious provided there are no other symptoms such as a lump, permanent pulling in of the nipple or severe pain. There are several ducts coming to the surface on each nipple. Discharge frequently comes from several ducts at the same time - can be due to duct ectasia.

Intermittent discharge which is clear, yellow, creamy, bluish, greenish or brown is considered normal. Red blood can also mean papilloren in a duct - which is benign. It is only if the discharge is red blood coloured that it needs further investigation by your doctor. The best way of distinguishing red from brown discharge is to dab a little onto a white tissue and look at it under a good light.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #3

OkieGal HB User
This sounds familiar and has happened to me too.
I have polycystic breast and have cysts in my breasts from drinking too much caffeine the doctor told me.
THe bluish discharge is dark blood, I had this happen a few months ago and went to the doc.
The doctor explained that when a milk gland in your breast gets infected it can bleed a little but it is nothing to worry about. He told me cut way back on anything with caffeing in it and if my breast was sore to use warm compresses to make it feel better.

Old 01-11-2003, 08:04 PM   #4

tamtam27 HB User
Lightbulb

I have been having the same problem. I had a mammogram on the 8th. I go soon for a Ductogram. The bluish could be blood. So it does need to be checked. Mine looks bluish/black/grey....Dr. tested and it is in fact blood. So after my ductogram I will know more.
I wish you the best....And I feel that this site is great but it does not replace a dr.

Old 01-13-2003, 01:44 AM   #5
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Okiegal,
Im another Okiegal I think it may possibly be Polycystic related as 2 of my aunts on my Mother's side has had this problem.I steer clear from Caffeine because of Panic Disorder..Can a woman's milk ducts produce this discharge even if she has not had a baby?Its never caused my breast to hurt just the discharge..I went to the doctor Friday and told him that I still had it and he said,"Well we wont worry about it since you've had several tests to rule out abnormalities."What a jerk!!!!He isnt the doctor I used when I had the Mammogram,Ultrasound and culture/smear...

Old 01-14-2003, 07:14 AM   #6

OkieGal HB User
I feel the same way jasmine.
My primary care doctor tried a fine needle biopsy when I first discovered the cyst and he couldn't get anything to come out. He told me to come back in 6 weeks to be rechecked so I did. When I came back I knew I had a discharge because I could squeeze my breast and at that time a yellowish discharge would come out. I told him I was having discharge and he said well if you remember last time we couldn't get anything to come out so we're not going to try again.
I was stunned.
I changed docs in a flash. I love my primary care doc I have now. He actually sits and listens to you and is not in a hurry to go out the door.
I am going to an ob/gyn for the first time in a very long time (7 yrs) for a yearly pap and I am going to ask the ob/gyn what I should do about the discharge and ask him for a mammogram just to be safe.
Let me know how you are doing.

Closed Thread