It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2003, 11:23 AM   #1

girl02 HB User
Post ouch cramps! pain reliever!

My period cramps are quite painful. I took Motrin (2 tablets at 200mg each) about 3 hours ago. I can't wait any longer argh so is it okay to take 1 or 2 Tylenol geltabs (500 mg each)??? I know you're not suppose to take two different kinds of medicine at once but I need this pain to go away.

Thank you!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #2

girl02 HB User
I took more Motrin but this stuff never really works. Does anyone recommend anything else? I can only swallow smaller pills.

I heard stretching is good but never seems to work for me. Sometimes I use a hot wash cloth on my back and/or abdomin but again not always helpful.

We land on the moon yet nothing to take these cramps away! argh

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #3

cheyanna2 HB User
I always found aleve to work well. I've never actually tried any of the midol products. I believe one form of midol has caffine in it and there was a study out not too long ago that found women who consumed caffine while in pain found it helped to ease the pain, while men found it to make pain worse. I wish I knew what else to recommend.

Old 01-06-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
Inactive

Karla HB User
You can take up to 800mg of motrin or ibuprofin safely. You can also take 2 tylanol at the same time. One acts on the kidney the other on the liver. So you are safe. My dr has had me taking both for years. If you have that much pain during menstration or around your period time you may want to talk to your dr about it. You could have endometriosis. Something can be done about that.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Rather than using hot cloths, you may obtain more relief by putting heat pads on your back and your belly. The heat pads will give you sustained warmth and combined with deep breathing and relaxation exercsies can really help. The heat will help your muscles relax, thereby helping the pain.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:09 AM   #6
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
There are some fairly new products in drug stores called ThermalCare. They are self heating pads and they make one specifically for menstrual cramps. It's got a sticky side and you just place it in your underware against your abdomen with the sticky side adhered to your underware and it stays hot for about 8 hours. They are very convenient and I've found that they help my cramps, which are very very painful.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:27 AM   #7
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Girl,
Ive been pretty fortunate in the cramping dept,however have had my share..When I cramp I have found that taking Ibuprofen or Tylenol Extra Strength relieved me.I also stretched out in bed(in a quite room)with a heating pad or hot water bottle and deep breathed.You could also try massaging your abdomen or a hot bath.Im a big baby when it comes to pain,so it always helps to have someone baby and comfort you

Old 01-15-2003, 08:39 AM   #8

aliceinwonderworld HB User
Wink

i used to have debilitating cramps (& dizziness, hotflashes, & blacking out)back in high school to the point where i could not go to school on my 1st day every month. one time they were so bad my mom gave me pamrin & midol & i was using a heating pad and none worked! i finally passed out from the pain. i was a very heavy bleeder. now i take birth control pills and they've greatly reduced my bleeding and i have no cramping associated w/my period whatsoever. if you are interested in the pill talk to your dr. they are also supposed to help w/cysts. if you are not interested in that then atleast get checked for anemia. also try to cut down on candy and chocolate. i used to crave it a week prior to my period but if i didn't give in my cramps weren't as bad. get back to me on what happens.
aliceinwonderworld

Old 01-16-2003, 03:56 PM   #9

BettyRose HB User
When I'm on my period I get sick to my stomach plus I get cramps down my legs - on top of painful cramps.

I usually take 3 sometimes 4 motrin every 3 or 4 hours the first day. My gyno said that was fine as long as I wasn't taking that much everyday. My first day is always the worst and then the 2 and 3 day are fine.

If I can get my hubby to have sex with me the 2 days before I start then I find my cramps aren't as bad. I also use the ThermaCare heat pads which last for at least 10 hours - they are great!! Expensive but worth it. I also start taking Estroven PMS about 2 days before my period starts and that seems to help too.

I agree with you though: We can put men on the moon but can't relieve cramps!! Bizarre when you really think about it!

Closed Thread