It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2002, 04:42 PM   #1

johnr HB User
Question lump outside vagina- ladies please help.

Hello ladies,
having read some of the questions and then reading the replies I felt that I should present my question which is how I found this place on the net.
OK....
My wife has a large swollen lump that is tender and sore on the outside of her vagina at the base of the labia.
This is very recent and the cause we are not sure of.
In the past [about 5 months ago) at this same area after having sex there was a very small tear in the skin......had to look hard to find it but as you ladies already know this is a very sensitive area and it was painful like a small cut on your finger that you forget and then get lemon juice in it.
4 nights ago we made love and the following day she complained that it was very sensitive there.
2 nights ago we made love again as the pain was not intense and went away quite soon after arousal.
Now as of yesterday she has this lump.
The best descrition I can give is that now probably due to irritation from sex that the lump is about the size of a hazel nut, it feels quite hard under the skin like a lump of fat. The skin surface is of course stretched and thin leading to redness and pain.
Directly at the point where it hurts most there is no visible hair growing as it is close the vaginal opening. There is however a very small line ??? that look like a small scar-hair under the skin-or maybe just a very small rinkle.
Ok...that is pretty much all the info i have...
Maybe just an agravated pimple or a boil....is that possible?
No strange smells or fluid, very clean and just very worried.
Any help is welcome. Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2002, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Question

Best I can suggest is for your wife to see her gynecologist. She may have a slight infection, ingrown hair, who knows? But no one can diagnose this over the internet. Have her see her doctor and I'm sure that you'll get some answers.

[This message has been edited by Dianek (edited 12-28-2002).]

Old 12-29-2002, 06:39 AM   #3
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Another possibility is that it may be a hemorrhoid. Especially if it's located on the labia towards her anus. A lump as large as a hazelnut (which is pretty large) -- that's usually what a hemorrhoid looks like, plus it is fissured, irritated, enlarged, it ca shrink momentarily. There is a lot of vascularity in this region, and depending on the location, it is a possibility.

Not always, but usually, cysts or boils will weep or leak especially if they are ruptured, and sexual intercourse would, I'd imagine, be aggressive enough to rupture this if the location was closer to the inner labia or closer to the direct opening of the vagina.

But as the other poster stated, if it were me I'd get to the GYN immediately and have cultures done and have an exam to make sure nothing else is wrong. It could be a cyst, it could be a tumor, it could be an ingrown hair, it could be an infection, if she shaves her labia or very close to the vaginal opening she could have cut or torn the skin which has not been able to heal. If it's squishy it could be a lipoma (fatty tumor). If it's hard, especially if it's immovable, she should get immediate attention. It could be HPV or another STD. (Note that some diseases can be spread by means other than sexual transmission).

Old 12-29-2002, 08:18 PM   #4
Inactive

1Dove HB User
It sounds like a Bartholin's Gland infection. An infection will cause the gland to become hot and tender, and a lump that can be fairly large may form. An initial episode of infection can cause scarring of the duct and block drainage of the gland's secretions. Repeated attacks are likely, and the scarring can lead to trapped secretions within the gland, forming a large cyst. She needs to visit her GYN to get it treated. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:29 PM   #5
littlesheep1999

Question

could be piles??? or maybe not... how are her bowles?? she should go to the doc to rule any thing out.. hope all is well let us know

------------------
donna

Old 01-08-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
littlesheep1999

Wink

i had piles righ inbetween my to openings down there and o boy i was terrified till i new what it was. they gave me cream and it went within few day.. but certanly go to the doc.. good luck let us know

------------------
donna

Old 01-16-2003, 08:29 PM   #7

johnr HB User
Smile

Ladies thankyou for your help.
OK.... For others that may have read the qustion and followed the thread here is the result.
The condition was a blocked gland....caused by ???
well bad luck essentially. The doctor told us that it was not so uncommon and that the real problem was that too many women were too late going to a doctor which complicates things. OK the gland was blocked and the doctor made a very small incision squeezed out the rubbish and everything was fine within 2 days.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
(female)

jasaac HB User
Re: lump outside vagina- ladies please help.

AFter delivering my 4th child, I got lump like you described. Very painful. Went to the doc. She said it was some kind of infection, put me on antiobiotics, and I had to soak in a very hot bath with epsom salt 2 times per day for 15 minutes. It went away and the salt bath helped. I would suggest your wife go to the doc.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr
Ladies thankyou for your help.
OK.... For others that may have read the qustion and followed the thread here is the result.
The condition was a blocked gland....caused by ???
well bad luck essentially. The doctor told us that it was not so uncommon and that the real problem was that too many women were too late going to a doctor which complicates things. OK the gland was blocked and the doctor made a very small incision squeezed out the rubbish and everything was fine within 2 days.
I glad everything is ok now. I think its sad when women are to embarassed to go to the gyno I mean thats what they are there for.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I too am glad to hear all is well. I know some time ago I had something similar to the condition you described...twice in fact I had it. I had a small red inflamed lump where you described it to be in your original post. I thought it was a boil at first or an infection because I got it right after my period had ended both times.

And what was it, you ask? Nothing more than some madly huge zits that managed to grow down there somehow. Granted it hurt like no one's business for me to take care of them and manually drain them but the little *****s healed the same night after they were drained. XP

Dark Stranger - don't believe in goin' to them new-fangled doctors

Old 06-06-2004, 02:53 AM   #11

lolared HB User

newbee here and wondering if you found that it was a bartholins cyst(description fit)? I just had one removed and would appreciate any info on this from any one else, thanks.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #12

tlorenet HB User

Thank you for the information. I had surgery for moderate dysplasia last September. Having my 3rd checkup to make sure that it hasn't come back tomorrow. I'm thinking now that it may be an ingrown hair that started bothering me yesterday. Today it is very painful. Was starting to get really paranoid about my history and cancer. I know that it isn't an std due to the fact that I've been with the same person (a very faithful man I must add) for the past couple of years and I've have a zillion pap smears (or so it seems). Hopefully tomorrow my doc can fix this painful lump that I have.

Closed Thread