It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2003, 04:41 AM   #1

dideb HB User
Post tampon lost?

Has anyone ever "lost" a tampon inside them? About 2x months ago had thought I put one in, but then could not find it. Is it possible for a tampon to work its way up inside you? I have had 2x periods since then, but I feel like there is something pushing the left insides of my pelvic region. Anyone heard of such a thing??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2003, 05:49 AM   #2
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Yep, and a friend of mine who is a nurse in a GYN office has had to retrieve "lost" tampons - they can lead to toxic shock and other serious infections.

Reach in there and feel around. Or have your S/O do it for you if you have ANY doubts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Yeap. Not terribly unusual. A friend had that happen. Go to the doctor to get checked out before it starts to rot and an infection develops.

Old 01-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

This is just one more good reason not to use tampons. Tampons carry more of an infection risk and also do not allow you to bleed as effectively. As a tampon is internal, the blood is soaked up by it inside the body rather than letting it come out naturally as it should do. If you lose one, then you can be at risk from toxic shock which is serious.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:40 PM   #5
Inactive

1Dove HB User
The only way a tampon could get lost is if it's inserted incorrectly, and pushed up through the cervix. Otherwise it would still be right there in the vagina. Tampons are safe if used properly and changed often.

Old 01-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran

Temperamental HB User
You definitely need to get it removed asap. Infections and other serious matters can result from it. I hate using tampons for this reason I just use pads. I was vacationing in Cancun in May when a cheap, crappy mexican tampon fell apart as I was pulling it out. My period stopped abrubptly so I thought there was a blockage. So I wound up seeing the DR on the resort (who luckily was female) and she wound up having to remove it. How embarrasing. And I got stuck with a nice 100.00 bill.

Old 01-17-2003, 06:55 PM   #7
Inactive

Ellesse HB User
Sweetheart..call your doctor and get it checked..asap

Old 01-17-2003, 08:28 PM   #8
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Im not gonna say it can't happen..but come on how can a Tampon get lost when the Cervix is closed?A cervix when not dialated is as round as the tip of a Q-Tip o a bit bigger..

Old 01-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #9
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Yes!!! My daughter "lost" one a few months ago she had a period since and was sexually active as well. She mentioned to me one day it hurt up there and there was an oder. And she was itching she was to the point she was ready to kill her b/f cuz she thought she had an STD but we went to the Doc he did a pelvic exam and out came the tampon. She turned 3 shades of red lol. It was one of those cheap lil thin string ones they disapear at times I guess.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD for 12 years
Carpal Tunnel syndrome
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured now I think)
Teen daughters that have had medical problems and I will help and over advice on what areas I am knowledgable in.
Hysterectomy in 2002 due to endometrial bleeding.
Hernia repair in 98.

Old 01-18-2003, 09:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by jasmine30:
Im not gonna say it can't happen..but come on how can a Tampon get lost when the Cervix is closed?A cervix when not dialated is as round as the tip of a Q-Tip o a bit bigger..
I think some people's vaginas are a bit longer, and the tampon can get pushed up along/around the cervix and out of reach of fingers.

Old 01-21-2003, 12:28 AM   #11

Mayrjala HB User
Unhappy

I hope you have retrieved it or hope you never actuly lost it!!!Oh man that is really dangerous!!!I know a girl who had forgot-due to drunkness about a tampon and had intercourse--it pushed it deep-she was rushed to the hospital the next day from sever vomiting!!!Very dangerous

Old 01-24-2003, 05:48 PM   #12
Inactive

Merrida HB User
"Getting lost" does not imply it worked its way up through the cervix. But it CAN mean that it's just,.... up in the vagina and not retrieved and forgotten about. It's not only possible, it's actually common.

The first time I "thought I forgot" when I was with my Husband, and I mentioned something to him (we were dating at the time) he said the same thing, "How can you possibly LOSE it? .....<<long pause>>..... can't you,....FEEL it in there?"

LOL

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Old 01-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #13

my precious HB User
well i had this happen one time...
i was goin so heavy that i had 2 supper abs. in and didn't know it...
i felt so stupid

i was so afraid a couple of days ago...
i had to get a 'cheap one' from a lady @ work...
it's string was soooo tiny that i thought it came off...
it got lost but i just kinda felt around for the string... kinda gross

Old 01-25-2003, 09:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Wink

Hey, "kinda gross" is much better than risking your life with toxic shock syndrome. That's why the super dooper absorbent tampons went off the market, and that's why tampons need to be changed frequently. Don't quote me on this, but it's your body- don't be afraid to touch it.

I'm just sort of teasing... But I'm just saying you should not be afraid of reaching up and feeling around for a lost tampon, especially if it's "sooner, rather than later" and may save a trip to the doctors (and have him look up there) and may even save your life. But if you have any worries about whether it's all out, or you have some new discharge, etc., don't be afraid to get thee to a doctor, ASAP.
wr

Closed Thread