It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2003, 09:06 PM   #1

my precious HB User
Post breasts question

okay i have heard that like if you get hit on the breasts that it can lead to breast cancer
i also have heard that breast cancer is heriditary...
when i was lil my mom got mad at me and grabbed me up off the floor i was maybe 5
i was waering a large bathing suit and she scratched me like right under the nipple... it was there for like 2 weeks...
well know 15 years later... and after a lot of growing...
i have noticed that my left nipple... the one that got scratched.. barely ever gets hard... it does, but not as much as the other one... there also seems like there is this big stretch mark type thing through the bottom of the arola [sp] i used to be so self conscience... but my s/o doesn't mind it...
my gramma told me that since i developed early i need to check my breasts regularily, since alot of my family members have cancer n breast cancer

well i was kinda wonderin if that will have any major medical effects on me ... the scratch thing
and also i have pains in my breasts alot, and i felt a lump/bump in them once... my sister had one in hers and the doc told her it was a swollen gland... then i stared to get bad shooting pain and when i went to the doc, they said it was just shooting pain...
i am kinda scarred to do a self breast exam thing, cuz i am scared that i will find sumtin
my gramma died last year of cancer and i had a great gramma to DIE of breast cancer

Old 01-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Yes, breast cancer CAN run in families, but it doesn't have to. It does certainly increase your risk for getting it, and that is something you must tell your doctor (it would not hurt to tell your dictor this each and every time you see him/her, just as a reminder).

If you have any concerns, you need to find a good doctor; it can be a family physician or a gynecologist, or even a gyne/oncologist. And since you have concerns, you should not put off your visit to your dictor. If you don't like the one you have, ask your friends and family for who they do AND DON'T like! You will find that most women will not mind sharing information about this, and you may also find a large support network out there (just like on this board); it's just good to also have a network you can reach out and hug, too.

Write down all the questions you can think of for your doctor; think of things to point out on your body, different ways you have felt (or things you have seen) from what is normal for you, etc. And write down what your doctor says (make sure you get the spellings right). It may help to take along a trusted family member or friend to help you do this. Yes, it can be hard to take care of your body.

I have gotten into the habit of keeping notes on each member of the family. I make an entry of the date, the amount I pay, the doctor/pharmacy/lab/etc. seen, the general reason for the visit, and the diagnosis. I write the name and dosage of each prescription (and any allergic reactions I might have). If it's something complex, I also keep the notes I've taken to the doctor's office. Or if I notice something odd, like I start to run a slight fever for a few days, or my periods were different in some way, but I don't see the doctor, I might make a note. Over the years, I have found this to be helpful, especially for my problems, which have been more on-going than the rest of the family (thank goodness we're not all afflicted). But for my kids, I now have a record of when they banged their heads real hard or sprained a finger, or whatever, and this may help them make sense of any symptoms they get down the road.

Please see a doctor soon. Do not be afraid of having cancer, and do not put off seeing a doctor because you are afraid of the diagnosis. IF (and I stress, IF) you have cancer, the sooner you see a doctor and get a diagnosis, the sooner you can get help and the sooner you will start to feel better and begin to get on with your life.

A better place for you to post any cancer concerns would be under the Cancer; Breast, Cervical, and Ovarian. There will be more people who can directly address your concerns.

Good luck in your decisions, and I hope you get some answers very soon.
wr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Inactive

Merrida HB User
I would seriously doubt that incident with your mother would cause breast cancer.

While hereditary, technically those who develop breast cancer are in the MINORITY when it comes to having other family members who have had cancer. (When you fully look into the ratios). So while it's "A" factor, it is FAR from being the most important factor.

Yes, REPEATED damage to tissue MAY contribute to damaged cells reproducing damaged cells, leading to cancer. You got scratched. That is not repetitive damage.

There are way too many other factors to consider as well as rule out before jumping to these conclusions.

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 01-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #4

my precious HB User
Smile

thanks very much
i know i shouldn't be afraid
i am goin to see a doc soon
thanks for all the help

Closed Thread