It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 10:31 PM   #1

squirrel19 HB User
Unhappy continous period

I am 18 years old with a problem. I have had my period for the past 2 almost 3 months with about a 2 week break. I am 5"4' and 105 lbs., so everyone I know says that it has to do with my size. I am extremely worries because I don't think this is normal at all. But what makes matters even worse is that I have no insurance, so I can't go to a doctor. Is there any one who can help me figure out what is wrong with me and why my period won't go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2003, 11:04 PM   #2
(female)

ruth ann HB User
Dear Squirrel -
Listen to me - this is so important: for whatever reasons you are losing a lot of blood. At your size, it could be very dangerous. You are probably anemic. Losing blood from your period is just like losing blood from a head injury or any other part of your body. There can be very serious complications. The 1st thing you need to do is start taking an iron supplement. Ferrous sulfate. Go talk to any pharmacist and tell them what's happening and ask them to recommend an iron supplement.( PHarmacists can be a great source of free advice.) This will at least keep you healthy until you figure out what's wrong. I also had continuous periods and finally ended up in the ER requiring blood transfusions because I'd lost so much blood. You don't want to go there.
Now, about what's going on to cause the periods. It's hard to say - at your age it could be hormonal or something (I am a lot older than you). For me it was because I had fibroids (benign tumors in the uterus.)This is a very common, non-dangerous condition that a lot of women have. Your problem could be caused by something else. You need to get to an ob-gyn asap. Women's health care is a very essential area of care - there are tons of free clinics, maybe even Planned Parenthood center that can help you see an ob/gyn for free. Look in the phone book under "Clinics" or "Women's Health" and just start calling. There are also a lot of books that can help you. Go to a bookstore and consult "Our Bodies, Ourselves" in the women's health section. This is also free. But take those iron pills NOW! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
Just because you don't have insurance doesn't mean you can't go to a doctor. You just have to be prepared to pay for it yourself. I have several friends who have no insurance and still manage to get the medical care that they need when they have a problem. It's worth going and paying for it yourself just to find out if something is really wrong with you.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #4

cheyanna2 HB User
I doubt it has anything to due with your size. until I was 22 I was 5'3 and 100lbs and my cycles were fine. You need to see a doctor and find out whats going on. Contact planned parent hood and they will help you. They will make you an appointment and work out a payment plan for you based off of how much you make. If you don't make much or nothing at all, they will either try to get it for free or they will get it really cheap. They are a great source for people who don't have a lot of money and need medical help. There are plenty of womens clinics out there that will be willing to help you.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, It's not your size. I have had the same problem several times. You really need to go to a GYN and get checked. It could be something serious or something simple like me. I just don't make enough hormones, so they put me on the pill to regulate me. Sometimes you only have to be on the pill for one month, depending on what your doctor says.

------------------
Magpie

Old 01-18-2003, 09:23 PM   #6

squirrel19 HB User
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I did call my local health department and they I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday the 22nd. I also explained to the lady that I had no insurance and they have scheduled a financial appointment where they will figure out how much I need to pay based on my income. Hopefully she will be able to help me because the bleeding has gotten worse. I was clotting really bad the other night and that really scared me. So I hope I find out soon.

Old 01-19-2003, 10:26 PM   #7
(female)

ruth ann HB User
Hi, Squirrel.
That's great news. "Sliding scales" (based on your ability to pay) are pretty common and a great solution.
Please, please get some iron pills. If you are clotting, you are losing a lot more blood than normal. And because your period is continuous, your body isn't getting the usual non-bleeding time between periods to recover and replenish the lost blood. Make sure you request a blood test when you go to the dr. to determine if you are anemic. If you start feeling weak, dizzy or short of breath go right to the nearest Emergency Room. They have to treat you, with or without insurance. I was in the same boat, believe me.
It's possible you have fibroids in your uterus, which can cause the clotting and bleeding. Not to worry if you do. It's a very common problem. The ob/gyn dr. will probably probe your tummy outside to feel for fibroids, and maybe schedule you for an ultrasound test. This is an xray where they can see if something in your uterus is causing the bleeding. But please take iron pills. The most dangerous thing about a continuous period is the risk of anemia. Trust me on this. Good luck and let us know how your appt. turns out.

Old 01-22-2003, 06:02 PM   #8

squirrel19 HB User
It's me again. Well I went to the health department today and they were not any help at all. All they did was put me on the pill. They did draw some blood and do a pap smear. So maybe something will come back from those results. They,for some reason, were very nonchalant about the whole thing. So now after a long talk with my boyfriends mom (who by the way is a nurse). I am going to get hooked up with a real doc and find out what is wrong with me.

Old 01-22-2003, 09:54 PM   #9
(female)

ruth ann HB User
Dear Squirrel,
This is a good start. I have no experience with Health Depts. so I don't know what it is they do. Having been uninsured most of my life, I've usually gone to free clinics, women's health centers, or community clinics which offer a sliding scale. These places will usually hook you up right away with an ob/gyn or a nurse practioner. Also, every community has at least one hospital which has to take everyone, whether they can pay or not. You can always just go to the Emergency Room there and ask to see the ob/gyn on call. (Every hospital has an ob/gyn on call at all times, and if it's serious enough they will come or at least advise by phone). Your mom's boyfriend sounds like a great resource. Ask him if he knows of any women's clinics which offer a sliding scale. Or if he thinks Planned Parenthood can help you.
Keep at this. You are on the right path. Just remember, medical care (especially for a young girl of your age) should not be a privilege. You have every right to see a dr. regardless of your financial or insurance situation. Be persistant, and you will get what you want. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Old 01-23-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
ilovesunshine

Did you go to the doctor yet? I once knew a girl who would get her period for 20 days and bled extremely heavy and also skip it for a few months. She did go to the doctor and then they were normal.

Old 01-23-2003, 01:13 PM   #11

action HB User
Do you have some sort of Well Womens clinic or Family Planning practices in your area? They are always much more in tune with women and their problems! Your health system seems to be very unhelpful - do you have to pay if you are in an emergency situation too? That's dreadful!

Angela (in Australia where we complain about the health system but it's no where as unresponsive as yours seems to be!)

Old 01-28-2003, 01:18 AM   #12

sunfire HB User
When I first started to get my period, I had it for like 3 weeks and then it would stop for a week and start again. I practically had my period all the time. I did become anemic and had to take iron pills. My doc put me on the pill, and it works great. Now my periods are regular and less heavy and with less cramps.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:27 AM   #13
Veteran

Temperamental HB User
Hi,

Planned Parenthood offers low cost health care. Call them ASAP. I saw them from the time I was 17 until like 21. They took good care of me.

Kim

Closed Thread