It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2003, 08:04 PM   #1

mersie HB User
Talking Do you have bad cramps and drink a lot of coffee?

I don't know if this would work for everyone, but I think I have figured out a solution as to why I had such terrible cramps from hell. Ever since I started, I had awful cramps. They would get so bad sometimes that I would throw up. I went through every OTC med out there. Every once in awhile I would notice that the cramps weren't bad at all, but it would only happen every once in awhile. I finally figured out what it was. Ever since I was a little kid, I was always drinking tea, eating chocolate or drinking coffee. To make a long story short, I cut waaay down on tea and chocolate for a month. And guess what? My cramps really got better! I really do believe it's because I cut down on the black tea and chocolate. You don't have to cut it out altogether, and I do still need to take some meds (I take Orudis, it's some sort of ketoprofen and is an OTC), but it's so much less terrible! I just wanted to tell people about this in case they have similar circumstances. I do have to say that I've never gone to the gynecologist about my cramps ever, and that I haven't had any sort of gyne exams done to me. But, it's worth a try, believe me. I cut down 90 percent on caffeine about 15 days before I am due to menustrate. I hope this works for you if you have cramps from Hell. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Unfortunately, caffeine is evil stuff and can make a lot of stomach problems a lot worse, such as IBS and period pains for that matter.

This is great that cutting these out has worked for you. One more recommendation. If you want to try something a little more natural that OTC meds for your stomach cramps, why not try the herbal remedy Black Cohosh? This is specifically designed to help period pains and can be very effective. You can also try taking Vitex (Agnus Castus). This is another herbal tincture that is very good for regulating hormones so that you don't get PMS, which can include stomach cramps. You can take this for upto 6 months at a time - Vitex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Ok dependong on your age/sexual activity you should be getting yearly exams that include a pelvic and pap.
Second be careful with herbals if you are taking any meds because there can be problems with interactions. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say. Also with some herbals if you are trying to get pregnant think there is a chance of pregnancy you have to avoid certain herbs.
Also what works for some people in the herb areas doesnt always work for others. Vitex actually screwed up my period,I have short one-about three days with only a day of it being heavy. I wound up with five day periods that were heavy for three days and cramps like crazy.
Also painful periods should be checked by a doctor because it could be a sign of major problems such as Endo that can effect one's future chances of having children.
For me I am a big tea drinker...being born southern. The only time I have had painful cramps or such was that short time I was on the Vitex. Other than that PMS for me has always been mild.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 01-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #4

mersie HB User
Cool

I know that everyone is different physiologically, but it's worth a try to anyone that has cramps from Hell. I'm just glad that I found a solution after 15 years long years (Geez, has it been that long??), and just had to share the info. I really haven't tried any herbal remedies. I don't have health insurance right now, plus I wouldn't go even if I did have it. I know, that's probably a bad thing, but as long as I'm not bleeding to death, I'm okay. If the low caffeine solution works for one person, than I am happy.

Old 01-26-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Ok that is sad that you think as long as you arent bleeding you are fine. That is so far from thr truth it isnt even funny. Many,many problems that can lead to infertility, and even cancer dont have signs until itis too late. Especially so in the case of cancer. That is why yearly paps are so important.
You dont have to have insurance to get yearly paps either. You can go to a women's health clinic or Planned Parenthood and get paps and such done there. They can work with you on payment.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 01-29-2003, 08:54 AM   #6

mersie HB User
I know, I know, you're absolutely right. I guess I'm more afraid of saying anything about anything that is wrong. I've been like that since I was a little kid. I would never tell anyone if I got hurt, one time I was about 10 or so, and I was wearing shorts. We were going to dinner, and in the parking lot I backed into the REALLY hot tailpipe of our VW beetle. I didn't say anything at all, because I didn't want to spoil everything by having to go home. I actually got a third degree burn too. So, as you might be able to tell I can take a Lot of pain and not say anything. I know, it's stupid to be like that, but any time I've gone to the docs and told them about something that was wrong, it would turn out to be nothing, and I'd be embarrassed and feel like I was a whiner. I know it's stupid, but that's how I feel. I was actually in a gynecological study and told the doc that it sometimes hurt when I had sex, and they said it was because my one ovary hung down. I let it go at that, since it doesn't seem serious or anything. I guess it's normal to have spotting between menstruation anyway. I do appreciate your concern.

Closed Thread