It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #1

jessica1 HB User
Question heavy bleeding, clots, polops and fibroids

I have had my tubes tied after my third child, no complicated preg, ever since then I have had extreme clotting, most of the time never enough notice to make it to the bathroom, cant go anywhere, afraid to bleed all over myself. I have had several abnormal paps, even had cryrosurgery and (cant think of the name) the one where they go in and burn off skin for samples, they say I have polpys and fibroids, long story short I have had a d&c and it all came back. They want me to have another d&c. They want to but me on birth control, but I want to know the cause of this disgusting problem, drs are so quick to throw you on medicine. My Aunt (who I seem to get everything from) had pre cancer of the cervix, had it all taken out, breast cancer (which I've had numerous suspicous lumps, checked out) even had one surgicaly removed and was thank god benign. Now come to find out my thyroid is wacked out and my tests showed autoimmune. Would any of this affect the polpys and fibroids or cause me to bleed like this?

Old 01-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #2

Adele HB User
I, too suffer from one fibroid but it's been enough to cause two-week long, very heavy bleeding. You need to find out where your fibroids are located as treatment depends on that. Mine is submucosal and this causes the most problems because it sticks out into my uterus and gives me the most pain. A D & C will not remove any fibroids - only myomectomy or hysterectomy will do that. Fibroids are caused by irregular cell growth usually due to fluctuating hormones. Taking a synthetic birth control pill will help you regulate your hormone fluctuations but some research has found that synthetic hormones make the fibroids grow even more, particularly estrogen. There are many web sites about this subject, just search under "fibroids."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

ruth ann HB User
Hello, Jessica.
I'm not sure if the thyroid problems could be aggravating the fibroids, but I can tell you from experience that my fibroids reacted very strongly to stress. I had a lot of fibroids which caused bad periods, but whenever I was under stress, I would bleed uncontrollably. You could be stressed out so much about your other health concerns that your female parts are reacting. I finally had a supracervical abodominal hysterectomy with ovarian conservation and a year later I am much happier. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2003, 01:37 PM   #4

jessica1 HB User
Question

where were your polpys located?

Old 01-28-2003, 02:22 PM   #5

Susan HB User
Hi. I had surgery (an abdominal myomectomy) several years ago to remove fibroids that were causing constant bleeding and anemia. I had not had any children yet, so I elected not to have a hysterectomy, which is another option. I had tried using birth control pills, which keeps the lining of the uterus thin and sometimes reduces bleeding, but it didn't help enough for me.

Fibroids will continue to grow until a woman reaches menopause, and then they will start to shrink from the lack of estrogen. If you are close to the age of menopause, you could try waiting it out and hoping for the best.

Since you've already had your tubes tied, you might want to consider a hysterectomy. Removing the uterus will definitely stop the bleeding and would also address the other problems you're having with the cervix and the bad Pap smears.

You need to discuss all your options with your doctor and make him or her understand how debilitating this has become for you. It sounds like it's beyond just throwing medication at. I did a lot of research on the subject when I was exploring my treatment options a few years ago and can point you in the direction of some great websites if you'd like.

Take care! Susan

Old 01-28-2003, 03:28 PM   #6

jessica1 HB User
Cool

Thank you for your advice and interest, please give me whatever info on websites you can, thank you!!!

Old 01-28-2003, 06:31 PM   #7

Susan HB User
Jessica,

The guidelines on what websites can be posted on here are strict, but I hope this is one that will be permissible. It is rather militantly against hysterectomy as a treatment for fibroids, but it's thorough and informative as far as the alternatives.
[url="http://www.nuff.org/"]http://www.nuff.org/[/url]

Your options are hysterectomy or myomectomy or drug therapy or just wait and see. That's what you have to decide on first. You might see uterine embolization discussed on websites, but that procedure is not offered everywhere.

If you decide on hysterectomy, you need to research and decide what kind of hysterectomy, as in leave the ovaries or not, do it vaginally or abdominally, etc. If you decide on a myomectomy, you need to research and decide on what kind of myomectomy you want to have, as in laparoscopic or abdominal. Drug therapy would include the birth control pills or perhaps Depo or a drug called Lupron.

Some doctors will suggest using Lupron to shrink the tumors and see if that will control the bleeding, either without any surgery afterwards or using it in combination with laparoscopy. If that is suggested to you, please research Lupron and make an informed decision. Some women said they had had good results with Lupron and were happy with that treatment. But I also read some horror stories about some side effects that women said did not go away after they quit taking the drug. In the end, I decided not to risk it.

There are many good websites on fibroids and hysterectomy that I can't list here. If you do a Google search, you can pull up all kinds of information. Inform yourself and then talk with your doctor about all your options.

Take care! Susan

Closed Thread