It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2002, 12:52 PM   #1
ilovesunshine

Post need help with sister

This may sound weird but the other day my younger sister came up to me with a problem. She told me that she is itching "down there" so I took her to the doctor to get checked and the doctor said she doesn't have any infections or anything and that she's fine. After I brought her home she told me that she doesn't wipe after going to the bathroom. I mean after urinating. I am kind of embarrased to talk to her about these things. What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2002, 01:09 PM   #2

AllyMcBeal HB User
By all means TALK to her!! If she felt comfortable enough to come to you with her situation then you should 'take her under your wing' and educate her about her body and proper hygiene. You will be doing her an enormous favor in doing so. Not wiping can lead to lots of problems including body odor. Force yourself to talk to her. She obviously has no one else. Ally

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2002, 01:12 PM   #3
ilovesunshine

OK I will talk to her. What kind of problems can not wiping cause just so I know?

Old 11-30-2002, 08:44 PM   #4

Nala1998 HB User
Thank you for taking on the task of speaking to your sister. She obviously needs someone to help her and give her advice and information. Not wiping will cause irritation and soreness which could lead to infection. Just think what a baby's bottom looks like after sitting in a wet diaper. It's not a healthy environment. Be sure to remind her also to wipe from front to back so as not to spread bacteria from the rectal area to the vaginal area. Also, not wiping leads to odor. No one wants to smell like pee. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
ilovesunshine

Well I did mention this to my sister already but please let me know what problems this will cause just so I know exactly what to tell her. Can it cause yeast infections? Should I let the doctor know about this? I did bring her there when she told me that she was itching "down there."

Old 12-03-2002, 04:53 PM   #6

Nala1998 HB User
Yes, I suppose you could get yeast from the dampness of not wiping away the urine. Yeast thrives on moisture so it would make it a good environment for yeast to grow. Just tell her that it is good hygiene to always wipe and much healthier too. As for telling her Dr.; if you think it would help to have the Dr. talk to her then tell the Dr.

[This message has been edited by Nala1998 (edited 12-03-2002).]

Old 12-03-2002, 04:54 PM   #7
ilovesunshine

OK I am very concerned about her now. I don't know how long this has been going on. I already talked to her about this but I don't know if she is listening to me. I will call the doctor tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by ilovesunshine (edited 12-03-2002).]

Old 12-06-2002, 12:00 PM   #8
ilovesunshine

Well I called the doctor already and told her about my situation with my sister. So I have to bring her in for another appointment. The doctor will go over everything with her.

Old 12-10-2002, 11:31 AM   #9
ilovesunshine

Well I already took my sis to the doctor. She went over everything with her. But will she listen??

Old 12-11-2002, 09:20 PM   #10

LilSmalls HB User
lets hope so, its only natural to take care of yourself. if she gets a yeast infection from it maybe then she will listen? Are you sure its from not wipping? Not ot be rude but how old is she? Does she shave at all? It could be irrition from that. Then again you already took her to the dr. Its really up to her. You've done what you could and helped her.

Old 12-12-2002, 10:45 AM   #11
ilovesunshine

My sister is 11. No she does not shave. I have done all I could to help her. Hopefully she will listen.

Old 12-16-2002, 04:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Tell her that wiping front to back is better as wiping back to front can put bacteria from her bum up towards her urethra which can cause a UTI.

If you have real trouble talking to her, enlist a female friend your sister is close with, or enlist the help of a doctor.

I know how you feel -- my younger brother will come to me for advice, and sometimes it is difficult to answer.

Old 12-25-2002, 05:34 PM   #13
ilovesunshine

OK I am just worried that she is not listening and that she may get some kind of infection. I will consider having someone talk to her like you suggested. It is hard when a younger sibling comes to you with their situation and it's just so hard to talk to them.

Old 12-30-2002, 10:50 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
Where is your mother?

Old 01-04-2003, 02:05 PM   #15
ilovesunshine

I do have a mother. My sister only came to me with her situation.

Closed Thread