It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
Inactive

LindaG HB User
Post shooting rectal pain w/periods

Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone might have a name for my embarrassing disorder. I have shooting rectal pains with my periods. It feels like a knife shooting up through the rectum and going into my lower abdomen. To go to the bathroom is torchure. The pain is so severe it stops me in my tracks and I can't move. I even have to be careful how I sit so as not to put too much pressure back there. I never know when a sharp pain will come and I can't figure any rhyme or reason to the symptoms. Some months are horrible and others go by with just a few twinges of pain. Laparoscopy ruled out endometriosis. Colonoscopy looked fine. I was given an antispasmodic drug called "Levsin" that doesn't even take the edge off. Any thoughts? Thank you! :-)

Old 02-05-2003, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I had this happen to me a couple times (not with my period) and one time it was so bad I thought I was gonna pass out. Sometimes I feel a slight pain starting during bowel movements and I'll relax until it goes away. I have no idea what it is and never checked on it. I was just surprised to read this and see that it wasn't only me. I know it hurts like hell and hope you find out what's wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2003, 01:52 PM   #3

kitty77 HB User
hi LindaG, sounds like you are experiencing this thing called proctalgia fugax which is discribed as uncontrolled spasm or contraction of the muscles in the rectal area and pelvis. The cause is not known. It is not caused by hemorrhoids, fissures, polyps, or other rectal conditions. Sufferers often describe waking up from a sound sleep with a sharp pain, often described as stabbing pain "like a knife sticking deep in the rectum." Mercifully, the pain is usually brief - lasting less than 20 minutes - and disappears as mysteriously as it comes. fortunately, the people who experience this should be confident that the pain is not an indication of something serious. Also, this condition does not increase the risk of colon cancer, colitis, hemorrhoids, anal fissures or other bowel disorders. It is simply a muscle cramp in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no cure. The attacks are too short for any medical therapy to be effective. There is no surgical procedure that has been shown to be effective. The most common therapy is simply pushing on the anal area. This may be done manually or by straddling the edge of a bathtub. Soaking in a warm bath may help, but usually the pain begins to subside before the bathtub is filled. Sadly there is no way to reliably prevent further attacks. Some doctors feel that a high fiber diet and plenty of fluids helps keep the stools soft and prevents spasm. The best plan is to let your doctor rule out any other serious disorders and be happy that nothing more important was found.

I hope this info helps. good luck!

Old 02-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #4

Rema HB User
Hi Linda...I suffer from this problem as well when I have a period (I thought I was the only one!). Mine normally lasts about 30 seconds. I never been tested and just put it down to spasms in that area due to my period. Weird huh. I understand when you say its painful and it stops you dead in your tracks!

Old 09-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
(female)

danni2408 HB User
Question Re: shooting rectal pain w/periods

I too have recently experienced rectum pain whilst on my period. It only seems to happen when im on my period. I can feel the stools passing down my rectum until it gets to a point and then i get this overwelming pain ( i cant breath or move) for around 5-10 seconds. This time when sitting on a hard surface i had to sit on the side of bum instead of as normal. It has been the worst this time but can remember for a long while now having this pain. Im happy that im not the only one experiencing this. If child birth is that painful then im not sure if i would cope. The pain in undescribable. I worry as mum mother had endemetriosis (sorry for spelling) when she was younger and her mother had a growth on the base of her spine. Im reluctant to go to doctors, but my symptons sounds like ones others have described. Any suggestions?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
(female)

bp4life HB User
Re: shooting rectal pain w/periods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty77 View Post
hi LindaG, sounds like you are experiencing this thing called proctalgia fugax which is discribed as uncontrolled spasm or contraction of the muscles in the rectal area and pelvis. The cause is not known. It is not caused by hemorrhoids, fissures, polyps, or other rectal conditions. Sufferers often describe waking up from a sound sleep with a sharp pain, often described as stabbing pain "like a knife sticking deep in the rectum." Mercifully, the pain is usually brief - lasting less than 20 minutes - and disappears as mysteriously as it comes. fortunately, the people who experience this should be confident that the pain is not an indication of something serious. Also, this condition does not increase the risk of colon cancer, colitis, hemorrhoids, anal fissures or other bowel disorders. It is simply a muscle cramp in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no cure. The attacks are too short for any medical therapy to be effective. There is no surgical procedure that has been shown to be effective. The most common therapy is simply pushing on the anal area. This may be done manually or by straddling the edge of a bathtub. Soaking in a warm bath may help, but usually the pain begins to subside before the bathtub is filled. Sadly there is no way to reliably prevent further attacks. Some doctors feel that a high fiber diet and plenty of fluids helps keep the stools soft and prevents spasm. The best plan is to let your doctor rule out any other serious disorders and be happy that nothing more important was found.

I hope this info helps. good luck!
WOW thank you sooooo much. I have been having this problem for a few years now and I have been looking everywhere for an answer. thank you thank you thank you I thought something was really wrong

Closed Thread