It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #1

jenny benny HB User
Post irregular periods at 19?

I am 19 years old, almost 20, and my periods come somewhere between 27-42 days ...is this classified as irregular? you always see in movies that women know exactly what day their period is gonna come...is this normal? ive never experienced anything close to that. am i normal? is there a way of regulating my cycle (if it is irregular)?

Old 02-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Sounds like me all through my life. I never had what you would call regular periods. I got them every month so to speak but just never any specific time although I stuck closer to a 32-36 day cycle. This would be classed slightly irregular since you don't seem to skip any periods you don't don't get them evey certain number of days. This is nothing to worry about but just a pain in the behind since you are never sure when you will be getting your period. Be sure to mention it to your doc though when you have your next pap test so that he is at least aware of this for medical records purposes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2003, 04:35 PM   #3

barefoot_gal HB User
hopefully with age your periods will become more regular, as mine have. i'll go through spells of irregularity, however, and although those cause a lot of stress in terms of "could i be pregnant??" they can be very normal. but yes, let your doctor know to be sure...

Old 02-07-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
(female)

Beth Ann HB User
Smile

Are you on the pill? That's the only way I ever stayed regular. Helped ease my monthly cramps too.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
My periods were irregular for a long time, and then i went on the pill. It fixed them right up: I get less pain from cramps or no cramps at all, lighter periods AND I know exactly when they're going to be coming which prevents any embarrasing moments.

I wouldn't worry too much about them, i'm sure your fine, but you could try the pill if you wanted to sort them out.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #6

Krazieelantra HB User
the pill will regulate your periods

Old 02-09-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Unless you want to regulate your period there is no reason to worry about being irregular. The choice is merely a personal one as to whether you want your periods more regular.

Old 02-09-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Inactive

1Dove HB User
It is a bad idea to take the pill to regulate your period. All those who are taking the pill for that purpose are not having real periods caused by their own body's hormonal cycle. They have not fixed the problem at all, they are merely masking it. I recommend a complete hormonal evaluation to find out if an imbalance is causing your irregularity.

Old 02-11-2003, 07:59 AM   #9

Floridiangirl HB User
I think 1Dove is right. All too often, a doctors "quick fix" for women is to put them all on the pill!! From what this young woman wrote, I wouldn't consider periods being 30-36 days or whatever to be particularly irregular, but it is worth investigating. There is a possibility of polycystic ovaries, which isn't necessarily a problem, but could be a cause of irregular periods, there is a possibility of a lack of enough estrogens, etc. etc.

When I was about that age, I went to a reproductive endocrinologist because I had VERY irregular periods (anywhere from 1-4 months). However, after much testing, nothing was abnormal. I was put on the pill, and all was well, but I have been off it several times over the past few years and my body just goes back to having few periods during those no-pill times. My doctor said that as long as a woman has about 3-4 periods a year, there is no health risk to a lack of hormonal cycles, etc.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
If you're 100% normal hormonally, then no, it shouldn't be a problem. If, however, you are not, going on the pill could help you lots, since widely swinging hormone levels can increase the risk of cancer, anemias, things like that.

The pill is 100% safer than it was 20 years ago, and as much as it seems to kind of be a 'quick fix' it's got so many good side-effects and so few bad ones that as long as you're not being haphazarded into believing it's right for you if youve really got risk factors, there's nothing to worry about.

Closed Thread