It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2003, 07:41 PM   #1

sabrach HB User
Exclamation Ovarian Pain

Im 20 years old and right before I start my period, i get severe cramps, sharp pains that practically knock me over, but the duration of the waves of cramps lasts for only about 10-15 minutes. It only happens once or twice in the week before I start. After the so-called cramps are gone, I'm left with ovary soreness. I don't know if this is my body trying to regulate or if I need to go have this checked out. Please let me know what I should do...thank you

Old 02-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
Inactive

Pippin31 HB User
Hi,
Have you been to a GYN yet? I am not sure the proper term for it, but I understand during ovulation sometimes sharp pains or cramps can occur. That sounds like the time reference you are talking about. It could signal the fact you may have a cyst too. Sorry itís not much help, but I think a visit to they GYN will ease some of your concerns. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Lightbulb

Hi.
I saw a gynaeocologist this week with similar symptoms and was told it was almost definately Endometriosis. An operation is required for proper diagnosis.
It is more common than I thought (1/3 of females have some degree of it).
I have other symptoms as well, but there are plenty of sites listing other signs that could point towards it being that (back pain is common).
Just talk about what you have been experiencing with a gynaeocologist and see what they think.

Old 02-13-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Try to find either a Reproductive Endocrinologist with whom to discuss your pain or a Gyn doctor whoes specialty is not obstetrics and mainly focused on Gynecology. You will also want to ask the office if the doctor treats a lot of patients with either endometriosis or polycystic ovaries.
Both these conditions are difficult to diagnose.
You could even have a good looking ovary and the ovary could have ovarian endometriosis and if the doctor is not real clear on the diagnosis that one is easy to miss even with lab tests. So when these problems begin to happen you want to keep a close eye on things because these are progressively destructive problems that don't have simple answers.
the surgical process mentioned above is a laproscope.
The surgeon makes a little incision and goes in to look around.
Endometriosis forms internal scar tissue called adhesions and adhesions can cause other organic problems. Unfortunatly adhesions can't be seen by the standard imaging tests.
It does take a laprscopic procedure to be accurate.
I think the only test that MAYBE shows adhesions would be an MRI and even that is said to be unreliable regarding adhesions.
The thing about endo is that you want to get it addressed and under control.
It just doesn't go away as long as you have ovaries pumping hormone because it's hormones that feed that stuff.
Being an invasive problems, women have the other pelvic organs to consider in getting treatment.
Endo can and does spread to the colon and the bladder and other areas of the internal body.
See a doctor and get a good diagnosis.
Early detection and correct treatment (as in most illnesses) is the key to your future health.
Kat

Closed Thread