It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
ilovesunshine

Question Question

I am wondering if it is safe to use baby wipes in place of tissue.

Old 01-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
I've often wondered this, too. You think that if they are ok to use on babies, multiple times a day for many months, that they should be ok for an adult. Well, I suppose they would be "ok", albeit very expensive in the long haul. But I would not think you'd have to use them each and every trip to the bathroom; just occasionally to "freshen up" a bit. Still and all, you wonder if they might have too much alcohol and be drying and irritating to delicate tissues. It has been some years since I've had baby wipes around, but I just found some freebie flushable wipes for kids in the closet- alcohol free and hypoallergenic.

You could always call a toll free number of the manufacturer and ask them for their input, or ask your doctor, or just give them a try when you think they might be needed. JMHO...
wr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2003, 12:51 AM   #3
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
I wouldn't use them in place of tissue,however they wont hurt to use after using tissue.They make you feel fresh..

Old 01-13-2003, 08:41 PM   #4

mpathia HB User
I have used wipes, but only after tissue. There are also wipes on the market with aloe in them. You just have to be careful with your plumbing. Some are flushable, some are not (you have to read the directions).

Old 01-23-2003, 09:08 AM   #5
ilovesunshine

OK so only use them after tissue? I did post something a while back. This has to do with my sister. I had went out and bought some baby wipes.

Old 01-24-2003, 05:36 AM   #6
(female)

elephantlvr HB User
I had terrible reoccuring bladder infections from approx 1989 to 1993. In an effort to clean up really well after having a bowel movement, I wiped with tissue and then used unscented baby wipes. I have done this from apprx 1990 to July of 2002.

Since July 2002, I have been having re-occuring vaginal infectiions. I don't know if there is a relationship, I really do not think so. I stopped using them when all the vaginal infections began.

I think that it would be okay for your sister to use them.

elephantlvr

[This message has been edited by elephantlvr (edited 01-24-2003).]

Old 01-24-2003, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
DO NOT FLUSH THEM IF YOU HAVE A SEPTIC TANK!!! Even if they say flushable, I wouldn't do it! A friend flushed them, day after day, and then suddenly one night, after 18 months of flushing them, their septic tank backed up and they had a disasterous mess all over their house at 1 a.m. I have some knowledge in this area (septic tanks, etc) and I wouldn't risk it. Just use them and throw them away in the trash.

Old 02-13-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
ilovesunshine

So it would be all right to use them in place of tissue? They seem much fresher.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:55 PM   #9

Jerri1 HB User
Yes you can use them with or without tissue first.I dont use the tissue and its just fine.I only use tissue after a bowel movement then I use the babywipes.I like the scented ones cause they smell BABY FRESH!!I've been using them for years!So go for it... Jerri

Old 02-13-2003, 11:34 PM   #10
Inactive

mlgable HB User
I would be careful with scented ones as they can cause problems for lots of women. Be sure when you wipe with anything to wipe from the back to the front so as not to spread bacteria to the vaginal area. To the poster with recurrent infections...........I would stop with the baby wipes to see if this helps and be sure your doctor is testing your infections to be sure what type of bug is causing it. For chronic yeast infections be sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take acidophillus capsules. This should really be standard for women any way. Also if you are sexually active and have chronic infections of one sort or another be sure your partener gets checked as he may be harboring the bacteria with no symptoms. Be sure when using baby wipes that you only use them on the outside of the vaginal area and don't get them inside as this could help spread bacteria also. As for septic tanks...........nothing except plain WHITE toilet tissue should ever be flushed down where there is a septic system. Even colored toilet tissue can can cause problems.

Closed Thread