It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2003, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

elephantlvr HB User
Question Boric Acid vag suppositories

I have been given a prescription for Boric Acid vaginal suppositories. I used them for two nights without any lubrication and it was just awful for me, since I am so dry.
I asked a pharmacist yesterday can I use something to lubricate. She said use KY jelly. I used that last night and what a difference!

Do any of you that use Boric Acid vag suppositories use a lubricant?

I feel so much better that I used the KY but do not want to take away any of the Boric Acid effects.

I have a call into my dr, but as always, have to wait for the return call.

[This message has been edited by elephantlvr (edited 02-20-2003).]

Old 02-20-2003, 08:11 PM   #2
(female)

hizgirl HB User
what is the suppository for?? Just curious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2003, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

elephantlvr HB User
The Boric Acid suppositories are to try to establish the correct PH level. I have been having infections for 8 months now and the newest GYN I went to said that since I do not have an infection now (She thinks, waiting for the PAP smear to come back) that maybe trying to get the PH level at what it should be would help me from getting another infection.

My level was 4.0 and it should be 3.0 t0 3.5.

They are only by prescription? (I think) she gave me a prescription for it, but not covered by insurance. It was about $13.00 for 20 of them.

ele

Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
I never had to use the suppositories, but when I was a young child I had A LOT of vaginal problems. I had yeast infections and bladder infections constantly, probably from the time I was potty trained until the time I was about 13 or 14. Only it took the drs a few years to figure out what was really going on with me. Finally they tested me for food allergies and we found out that this was what was causing most of the problems. So when I was about 6 or 7 my parents took me to an allergist/immunologist who specializes in dealing with yeast and fungal infections. He was my savior. I still go to him on occasion. But anyway, to make a long story short he immediately put me on a regimen of boric acid as well as PURE oral Nystatin. Being that I was so young, I guess he thought it would be cruel to make me get a vaginal suppository. He had my mom get boric acid powder and mix it with warm water. Then I would lay on the bed and lift my legs up into the air and she would kinda "pour" it in! (It sounds terrible now that I think about it! How embarassing!) She was and is a wonderful mother! But anyway, I guess maybe because it was liquid it actually gave me some relief from the itching and burning upon contact. Pretty soon we started using it more often, and it really really helped. When I had a yeast infection, since I was allergic to all of the other products out there we would get the Nystatin capsules and dissolve them and do the same thing. Now that I am big (22!) I just insert them whole if I have to! When I got older and didn't want mom to do this anymore I started making a compress out of the boric acid solution and sorta holding it there for a few minutes. That helped also.

I know this has probably been a little gross to read (as it has been very embarassing for me to type!) but I only posted this in hopes that I could help someone else. Yes, the boric acid suppositories will definitely help to balance the PH. It just may take some time. Also, howcome you weren't using any lubricant? Did the dr tell you not to use any sort of lubricant when using the boric acid suppositories? It's harmless to use some lubricant, as far as I know. Unless of course, the lubricant irritates you. I find that a bit of vaseline also works well, but if you like the KY Jelly then definitely stick with that.

I hope I've been helpful,
Elyse
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Closed Thread