It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2003, 01:31 PM   #1

Adele HB User
Post is this night sweats?

I'm 49 and have a really messed up cycle that I am trying to get corrected but it's obvious I have too little estrogen. I know that a symptom of menopause is night sweats and I'm not sure if this is what I am experiencing but firstly, at night I just cannot get to sleep and secondly, I get a little hot, and then a little cold (because it's winter here and my house isn't too warm) and this goes on all night long. I don't "sweat" per se nor do I flush red at any time. This just happens at night along with my insomnia. Would this be considered night sweats?

Old 01-07-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Not sure if your having night sweats but sure seems like something hormonal is going on. I would suspect that at age 49, with the insomnia, and feeling warm then cold, is probably a symptom of menopause approaching.

I am 47 and I occasionally wake up a bit sweaty, and I mean sweaty...my hair is wet, my nightgown damp. I notice it happening a day or two before my period arrives. Then other months I never have it happen. Of course, it's pretty hot in the summer here and the AC isn't the best upstairs so that could be why. Right now I'm usually pretty cold when I go to bed and have two blankets over me and I haven't woke up sweaty yet, so I'm not sure if it's really hormones or just being overly warm.

One thing is for sure, menopause is getting closer and closer with each year that passes; but unfortunately, I'm regular (cycle wise) like clockwork every month. My bloodwork has come back fine and the doc says I'm nowhere near menopause at this point, but I'm sure it's a gradual process over a period of years that changes take place, like the occasional night sweats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2003, 06:45 AM   #3

hypochondriac HB User
no this is not night sweat , night sweat is drenching you would have to change your clothes or change your sheets pillow cases sweating of the neck and scalp is NOT a night sweat either take care

Old 02-18-2003, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Wow! You have to change the sheets too?! I guess I'm not having night sweats for sure then.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:09 AM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yep with night sweats you are wringing wet. I didn't change the sheets till morning but of course the sweat tends to turn the sheets yellow even though you wash them well. The insomnia though could very well be part of the menopause. My question is why are they trying to correct your cycle when you are in or so close to menopause? I don't see what the purpose of that is. As for the insomnia why not ask the doc to prescribe something to help that when needed.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:31 AM   #6

Jerri1 HB User
It might just be hot flashes too!Ive been on this road for 5yrs.(NO FUN!)I'm only 47.So age wise we all start at different times..Good luck. Jerri

Old 02-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
You can't judge a night sweat or any other menopausal symptom by the intensity or lack of intensity.
Each woman is different and the way her menopausal symptoms manifest depend heavily on the hormone balance/imbalance with in the body.
It would be the actual shift of the hormonal levels that contribute to the amount of discomfort a woman has.
And you can get a night sweat or a day sweat any where on your body any time and any place.
Some lucky women even just breeze through the whole event of menopause with nary a sign to ruffle their feathers. While others might suffer for months or even years.
There are many many signs of menopause. I think the last article I read listed something like 35 signs.
It covers a huge range of symptoms and intensities.
If you are really curious you could always ask the Doctor for a blood test to see where your hormones are, but if you don't have a previous baseline to go by then it would be anyones guess unless your estradiol is down to some really low number.
My guess, since I no longer have periods or even ovaries left in my body, and I skidded through the event of surgically induced menopausal symptoms, is that you are probably experiencing hot flashes and you might want to pay attention to anyother changes going on with your body.
If the hot flash problem becomes too much of a discomfort there are good medications for the regulation of these often debilitationg symptoms.
Kat

P.S. That insomnia stuff is one of the big menopause signs.

[This message has been edited by kat721 (edited 02-18-2003).]

Old 02-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Ooooops, one more thought

Post read>>>My bloodwork has come back fine and the doc says I'm nowhere near menopause at this point, but I'm sure it's a gradual process over a period of years that changes take place<<<<<

Get this: I went to see a Gynecologist a few months ago.
It was maybe 5 months after my hysterectomy and I had one ovary left in my body.
The Gyn does a blood test and says that the blood work shows that I'm not in menopause yet!!!!!!
And on a scale from 70 to 700 for estradiol levels in my body, my estradiol was down to TEN! but he said I wasn't in menopause yet. Go figure.
I had the remaining ovary removed in January and who knows what a blood test would decide this time (LOL!)
Well, it sure does feel like my menses have certainly paused being as there is no more Uterus and all the ovaries and tubes and cervix have been excavated.
Menopause, what a long and strange trip.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:00 PM   #9

Jerri1 HB User
Just because you have a hysterectomy dosent mean you go into menapause.As long as you have one ovary that is producing eggs it will still produce estrogen.I had a hysterectomy in 1982 or83 and didnt take any hormons until 1998 when I started menapause. Jerri

Old 02-23-2003, 06:43 AM   #10

susgan HB User
I thought what i was experiencing was night sweats. I wake up very sweaty, hair wet, clothes damp, but that's all. All this is associated also with very wakeful periods from about 2:00 a.m.- 4:30 a.m. Each time I wake up sweaty, then all of a sudden I am just freezing like when you have a fever and you get the chills. Then it's back to sweating, and so on.

I have not been very happy with my doc lately, but I feel this is all hormonal as the hot flashes are a regular now too. My cycles have not been normal for a few years now, but only the last 4 months have I really been experiencing these symptoms. It really gets worse toward when I am going to start. Sex drive seems like it has left me also. But w/3 teenage boys who knows the cause for that.

I am only 42 going on 43 too soon, can't imagine going thru this til 50-55. At least my husband is here and willing to go thru this with me. I do feel that every one is different and everyone is going to experience symptoms at a different level as the other response said. No rights & wrongs when it comes to hormonal changes, just lots of fun times ahead !

Closed Thread