It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #1

susaloh HB User
Post Hormone level test

Hi there,
Any expert there to answer my question??

I've seen my gyn because of my PMS related bowel problems (see my other postings if interested). He vaguely agreed to do a blood test to check my hormone levels, though he thinks it's not much use. He said I should come in for testing around ovulation, and I said when exactly, because being oversensitive due to the IBS I can kind of 'feel' the whole process, so he said, well if I knew when this was to come around estrogen peak - well, I normally know afterwards, that I've had it because of the sharp drop of hormones, so I'm not sure what to do. My cycles are irregular, so counting the days wouldn't really be that clever either.

Well, I didn't really get the impression that he was very keen or even interested in the whole matter.

My question:
1.do you think it's any use checking your hormone levels to check out PMS hormone imbalances

2. why would he want me to come around ovulation and not later, when progesterone and estrogen take their out of balance course?

Thanks for any opinions/advice

Susaloh

Old 02-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User
Hi susaloha...
I was just about to post the same question!
My period is LATE bout 8 days..very unusual for me,,,Im wondering the same as you ,,is it worth getting the blood test?...how accurate are they & do you have to have it at a a certain time?
****,,,wish I had some answers!
I think I may be peri-menopausal?
Anybody??
TY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2003, 02:32 PM   #3

cirrus HB User
I dont know much about hormone tests, I am in the midst of possibly needing testing done too, as my hormones are totally out of whack, I am not ovulating and bleeding half the month.

But if you need to find out when you are ovulating, those ovulation predictor kits tell you 24 hours in advance, or you can take you basal body temp. (take temp same time every a.m. before getting out of bed) and you should see a rise the day after ovulation. Maybe that wont help if you need to know before, but it can give you an idea of your overall cycle, unless you are really irregular.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:19 AM   #4

MiffyBunny HB User
My dermatologist wanted me to take that test to see if my pimples were caused by irregular level of hormones but I didnt do it. She told me to come the first 5 days of my period.
One of the reasons for her to want me to take that test is because I mentioned her I was getting pimples only 2 weeks before my cycle, as well as severe back pain, mood swings and irregular period.

Anyway, I am going to see the gyn for the first time in 1 hour because of PMS, so I will ask her if I need to do that.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:39 AM   #5

Adele HB User
"Regular" gyns don't like taking blood tests for hormone levels because it only shows what is going on that day at that particular time and your hormones change from hour to hour/day to day during your cycle. And they don't like to waste the money for such a test. The best hormone level test is done by testing your saliva every 1-3 days or so for the entire cycle and only natural doctors support this method. Doing this really showed how screwed up my cycle was. A one-time blood test would not reveal this. I'm not sure why regular gyns don't support the saliva test, probably because they aren't getting money from insurance and/or drug companies for it.

Old 02-23-2003, 09:21 AM   #6

Bugsy HB User
Wink

Adele, your absolutly right! Yhe only way to truly check your hormones is the saliva test. I'm going tommorrow to my gyn and I'm going to insist on this! Doctors usually do a blood test and they only check a couple of things. With the saliva test, they can check all of your free floating hormones to see what your levels are, what you need more of and what you have too much of. You have to insist and push the point to get anywhere with most doctors!

Old 02-23-2003, 01:42 PM   #7

susgan HB User
my gyn said the same as all of yours...no need to do any testing. I have never heard of the saliva test. I wanted to know what was going on, but she basically told me at the time, that if I had no symptoms then it would be a waste of time. All I had was lack of regular cycles.

Now I have lack of regular cycles, and hot flashes, insomnia, hot/cold spells at night, real LOW libido, so I may insist on something next visit, I really want to find a naturalist ( not sure that is what you call them). I do not want to do the HRT. I don't like taking drugs. But be sure of it, that I will ask about and insist on saliva testing. Thanks, you learn something new every day.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Sounds like you are having menopause symptoms.

Anyway, they are called ND's (Naturopathic Docs) as opposed to MD's. You should be able to find someone in your area by looking in the phone book or on the internet. They are licenced as primary care providers in some States, but not all and have all the training that MD's have, but with the extra in alternative therapies such as herbal medicine, homeopathy, acupuncture, naturopathy and sometimes chiropractic and osteopathy.

Good luck.

Closed Thread