It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
Post PID without STD's ?

I had a Pap smear 2 weeks ago with normal results, then the next week I had a vaginal infection. I saw a doctor and had a swab test and urine sample taken to test for Chlamydia, Trich, and Gonorrhea. All of these were negative and it was just a heavy yeast infection.
I went to the ER yesterday because of lower abdominal pains I have had almost constantly for the past 5-6 days. The doctor there said he thinks it is either ovarian cysts or pelvic inflammatory disease. Reading about PID on the internet I think I do have a lot of the symptoms, but I haven't had an STD to cause it. I am really nervous about having it diagnosed as well. The doctor at the hospital said that I will be given an internal exam and when the doctor pushes on the cervix if I jump up to the roof it fairly certain that is the problem. He said it won't be at all comfortable and possibly quite painful. I'm really nervous now. He also gave me anti-inflammatory tablets and so far they haven't eased the pain at all.

Does anyone else have any experience with either PID from causes other than STD's, or any experience with an internal exam showing PID? Is it really that bad??

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User
I had PID that wasn't caused by an STD. Its uncommon, and my gyn said it was most likely caused by sleeping in tampons (?)

As far as the exam goes, my pain wasn't bad enough to send me to the ER. I went because I thought I had a cyst (I've had a few before) and she did the exam, and it hurt, but no more than the pain I was already in. A couple of days later I started hurting really bad and couldn't even get off the couch. I went in to the Dr. and they gave me a shot of Toradol (so if you're in pain, try that).

Don't be nervous about the exam. And if it is PID, they'll more than likely give you antibiotics to take for 2 weeks, and after 5 or 6 days (I know it seems like awhile) you'll start feeling better.

From what I understand, PID can cause a lot of problems, if it is allowed to spread.

Don't know if I helped any, but that was my experience!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
PID can cause infertility or sterility if left untreated so have the exam done and find out what is going on. Also if left untreated for two long and it can get into your blood stream and you might need to be hospitalized for IV antibiotics. Best to get this checked now to avoid further complications.

Old 03-31-2003, 07:01 AM   #4

chelann HB User
I had severe abdominal pain a few months ago, I had to go to the emergency room and even fainted because of the pain, The doctors also thought I had PID and I have never had an STD, I went to my OBGYN and she examined me and could find nothing!! I still have no idea what cause the pain, But I am always so afraid it will happen again! I just though I would let you know it possibly could be nothing! But get checked, Because you are better safe than sorry!! I hope everything turns out o.k for you!! Take care!!

Old 03-31-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Greenoctopus18 HB User
I have read a lot about PID and the only reason I can think of for me having it (if I have it) is something to do with when I went for my Pap smear. Everything was plastic-wrapped and probably sterile. So I don't know. I haven't ever been able to wear tampons.
The reason I went to the ER wasn't completely from the pain. It started and I hoped it would get better then it kept staying there, so by Sunday after over 5 days of it, I started to worry. And my bf was sick of hearing me complain about the pain so made me go.
The pain was definately bearable... just extremley uncomfortable... like something pinching and pulling on your ovaries all day and night.
I have an ultrasound all ready to do on Monday to check for cysts if nothing turns up today.
I really hated my Pap smear and once I got the results back for it I thought I wouldn't have to go back again for a long time. I know this exam will be different, but it still involves a speculum!
I have my appointment in 30 minutes.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Closed Thread