It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

Sapphie HB User
Red face Help! PMS!!!!!!

Ok...

Does ANYONE have any advice for me here? I get THE WORST PMS. A week before my period, I get crazy. Really crazy. I get sooo depressed and I think the world is out to get me. Rush hour traffic is almost enough to make me open fire. I am WAAAAAY too touchy!!!! Is there anything that you ladies do that helps you with your mental issues during PMS?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 01-27-2003, 04:03 PM   #2

Lindy323 HB User
I take xanax 0.25mg. It calms your nerves and relaxes you. It's usually prescribed for anxiety but taken at the lowest dose available and only as needed helps me alot. My doctor wanted to give me something to take everyday (can't remember the name) but I don't like taking daily meds when I don't feel bad everyday. Ask your doctor about it, and let us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2003, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Wow. With symptoms like that - going wild and being very touchy, this sounds like classic Liver Qi Stagnation. This happens a lot before periods, as the Liver is responsible for the smooth flow of Qi around the body and when it does not do this and gets stuck, as with PMS, you get all the typical symptoms. I would recommend that you go and have some acupuncture treatment for this and I can tell you from experience that it really does work. I had my first treatment years ago specifically for PMS. I had symptoms pretty much like yours and was in a foul mood when I walked in. I had needles placed in both feet, that I now know was Liver 3 and I came out feeling like a new woman. I was in a brilliant mood and felt as if I was walking on air. When the Qi flows it is an incredible feeling.

I would also suggest that you take a homeopathic remedy called Nux Vomica in a 6 or 30c. A lot of women go into this kind of state with PMS and it is a major PMS remedy. This remedy also has an affinity for the Liver and can help move Liver Qi Stagnation. You can get these remedies from any healthfood store and just let them dissolve under your tongue. Don't drink coffee though. This will make your symptoms worse generally and can also stop remedies working.

If you don't want to do this, then there are the other remedies to try like Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B complex that you run short of before a period. You can also try Evening Primrose Oil and if you get very depressed, there is St John's Wart, but be careful with this due to drug interactions.

Anyway, the key to helping PMS is to treat the cause rather than the symptoms and this seems to relate to hormone inbalances and deficiences of certain substances before your period starts. Tofu and soy are good at leveling out hormones.

Good luck

Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 PM   #4

mushroom1 HB User
I get PMS the day before or even hours before my period starts. All the little things people do totally bug me. If someone smacks, while they eat etc.
I want to punch them! I am fine, if I can be alone.
I usually, just get take out for the kids, and then go to my room until the feeling passes.
I don't remember feeling this way until I hit my 30s, but I may not have put it together?
I try to plan ahead and be aware that it is coming...

Old 01-29-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Exercise is beneficial as are taking things like evening primrose or black cohosh tablets.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
(female)

Sapphie HB User
That place is a little bit far from me!!! I live in Florida!

Anyone try that Sarafem stuff for PMDD??? I have all the symptoms of PMDD...

Old 01-30-2003, 04:01 PM   #7

Susan HB User
I take Sarafem, and it works well for me. It's even supposed to help with some of the physical PMS syptoms, like water retension and bloating. I don't know that it helps me with that, but it definitely evens out my mood. I take it every day. Some women only take it like the week before or the week of their period and find that helpful.

Sarafem is actually a low dosage of Prozac. Mine is 5 miligrams. You can now buy the generic of Prozac, but you CANNOT buy the generic of Sarafem. Don't ask me why. Anyway, my doctor changed my prescription from Sarafem to just 5 miligrams of Prozac so that I could take advantage of a HUGE savings by getting generic. So if you decide to try it, do ask for your doctor to write the prescription that way too. If he writes Sarafem on there and checks generic is okay, that's not even enough. The prescription must be written for Prozac. Those pharmaceutical companies are tricky little boogers, huh?

Take care! Susan

[This message has been edited by Susan (edited 01-30-2003).]

Old 01-30-2003, 05:56 PM   #8
(female)

Sapphie HB User
Thank you so much, Susan!

So you had those same symptoms as me? The craziness, the irrationality? I very much appreciate your advice, and once I get my health insurance, I will be sure to ask my doctor!!!!

Old 01-30-2003, 06:48 PM   #9

Susan HB User
Oh yeah, I definitely would get irritable and overly emotional the week before. And my poor boyfriend would really bear the brunt of my emotional outbursts when I'd get alternately cranky or weepy at the drop of a hat. LOL! That poor man!

The thing that bothered me most was that I knew I was overreacting to things and couldn't stop myself, and I normally would not have reacted in such a way had it not been the week before my period. I really felt out of control of those emotions.

Sarafem doesn't make me drowsy and I've had no side effects. I can still get a little moody sometimes, but I don't feel out of control and don't find myself overreacting. It's like it's evened out my mood throughout the whole month, which is what I really needed. It's worked well for me.

Take care! Susan

Old 01-31-2003, 08:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

There are lots of good alternatives out there that really do work without having to resort to taking antidepressants. It is not the answer.

Things such as Vitex and Black Cohosh can level out hormones and thus level out moods because of this naturally. Antidepressants can have side effects in the long run.

Old 01-31-2003, 09:09 AM   #11

Susan HB User
I looked at my pill bottle this morning as I was taking it and it's 10 milligrams, not 5...just wanted to correct that.

And, Sarah, you are right that there are many natural alternatives that can be tried first. I had tried some of those and didn't find them helpful for me, so my doctor prescribed the Sarafem. I guess we all just need check into all the alternatives and then do what works best for us.

Take care! Susan

Old 02-03-2003, 11:39 AM   #12

RioSwimmer HB User
Wow, i didnt know so many of us go through this! I think i have the worst pms in the world. Its so weird because when i have my 'emotional outbreaks'...I know its just the pms and that i'm probably overreacting, but i still cant control myself even if i remind myself "your overreacting, its just pms"
My boyfriend doesnt like to be extra sensitive towards me while i'm pmsing due to the fact that he thinks that since i know its just pms that i have some sort of control over myself. Its so weird, and its so awful. I suffer with the pms about a whole week before my period start, then three days before i start i start getting cramps, then when it finally comes I get the worst cramps for about a day, so i pop in a few tylenols the moment i start bleeding. If i didnt take tylenol i wouldnt be able to move out of bed for like a day 1/2.
My poor b/f has to put up with this every month, it drives me crazy and sometimes i feel like i'm going mad! I dont know what to do...I'm only 18yrs old.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Hey, there is no need for you to suffer like this at all. Go further up the board and read my post about all the natural help that is out there for PMS. You just need to regulate your hormones really and take what your body is lacking just before a period.

Agnus Castus (Vitex) can be quite good for regulating hormones and also Black Cohosh. Try these with the other suggestions and you might find some relief.

You would probably also benefit greatly from acupuncture treatment. It is great for moving stagnation, which is the largest cause of both PMS and period pains. Try it a week before your period next month and see what happens.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Midol PMS is over the counter and worked for me.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #15

MiffyBunny HB User
aren't BC pills supposed to help PMS symptoms? I am on diane 35 because of my acne but my gyn told me it will make my pms symptoms subside. I get a terrible backpain and very irritable (sometimes suicidal) 2 weeks before my period.

I started taking diane 35 just days ago, so I dont know what it will do. Any comments? Don't BC pills alliviate pms depression?

Closed Thread