It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2003, 12:17 PM   #1

action HB User
Post Implanon or Norplant?

Has anyone had any problems with these progesterone implants? I had an Implanon put in at the beginning of December for the progesterone component of my HRT and have now been bleeding for 25 days straight with no sign of a let up.

My doctor says that it takes time to settle down but - how long for heavens sake? Has anyone had bleeding like this? For how long? and if you have, and you had the implant taken out, how long before you stopped bleeding?

Thanks

Angela

Old 01-23-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran

Temperamental HB User
I'm going off of depo which is similar. Alot of spotting and bleeding at first. It will eventually let up and you might not have cycles at all eventually. Just hang in there it will eventually let up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 10:57 PM   #3

action HB User
Thanks for the hope! I wish I could have a cosmetic hysterectomy, it would make life so much easier:lol

I am very stressed at the moment and having the additional pleasure of a continuous period is almost too much!

Old 04-16-2003, 05:37 PM   #4

Bel HB User
Wink

Yes I have had the same problem. I had implanon inserted Jult 2002, and was continuing to get a normal period, which was fine with me. Until I began getting constant breakthrough bleeding, like I had my periods all the time. I gave it some time to settle down, but 5 months later decided to see the doctor. He put me on a one month course of 'primolut' tablets which the manufacturer of implanon recommended to stop the bleeding. That stopped the bleeding for a short while, it was great. But now it has come back again and I've had my period, some days light, some days heavy for over a month now. I hate it cos half the time you just don't know what to be prepared for, it could change any time and it's a real hassle. I am seriously considering getting the implanon removed now, as I've waited long enough for it to settle and even taken tablets to get it right. BI really love the other benefits, its reliable, you cant forget to take it, its cheap, but the hassles of bleeding are the only thing wrong! After almost a year, I think my body just does not want this. Maybe you should do the same. Have you spoken to your doctor about 'primolut'? It may be called something different, but ask and see if that helps. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by action:
Has anyone had any problems with these progesterone implants? I had an Implanon put in at the beginning of December for the progesterone component of my HRT and have now been bleeding for 25 days straight with no sign of a let up.

My doctor says that it takes time to settle down but - how long for heavens sake? Has anyone had bleeding like this? For how long? and if you have, and you had the implant taken out, how long before you stopped bleeding?

Thanks

Angela

Old 04-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #5
Inactive

md puta HB User
Hi!

Sorry you're having problems.

I got Norplant a few years ago, either 98 or 99. My story is somewhat similar to yours, except for HRT -- I got mine for contraceptive purposes. I had very erratic periods, then none at all, then all the time, very heavy, pr very light. Drove me nuts. Made sex a nightmare... I would much rather take the pill! They tried to tell me that it would eventually become regulated, tried to take BCP's to regulate it, nothing worked. (Not to mention that having to take the pill kind of defeats the purpose!!) Had it taken out a year and a half after I had it inserted. I had a lot of scarring in my arm, too... I posted about it in the women's sexual health board... [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum116/HTML/002046.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum116/HTML/002046.html[/url]

I stopped bleeding several days after the implant was removed. I've learned that Norplant is no longer being used in the U.S. as of right now.

Good luck! I hope that things work out for you!

Lauren

------------------
I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle these 3 things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas tree lights.

[This message has been edited by md puta (edited 04-17-2003).]

Closed Thread