It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 09:53 AM   #1

KChan HB User
Post I'm 23, is Depo Lupron okay?

Here's my history:

*23 yrs old
*Had a laparoscopy last July, endometriosis was removed
*Have had painful intercourse for 3 years
*Lap did not cure above problem

So.....

I am supposed to start monthly injections of Depo Lupron in a couple of weeks. And I will also be taking Aygestin during this time to counteract the symptoms of menopause.

Is there anyone here my age that has been on this Depo Lupron? Is it safe? Will it affect my ability to have kids in the future?

Also, has anyone here had this painful intercourse? If so, what was the cause and how was it fixed?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by KChan (edited 05-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2003, 06:24 AM   #2

susgan HB User
I have a friend that her daughter is having this shot now. She has been diagnosed with endro. and has severe pain most of the month, along with heavy bleeding most of the month. They want to do a hysterectomy on her. I have told her to please advise her daughter to get a second, and third opinion to this diagnosis, because there is no going back once it is done. Oh, by the way, the daughter is only 23 also.

I wish I had more to tell you but I don't. I know that the depo was suppose to stop her bleeding, and it hasn't. It has slowed it down, but that's all. She still has pain, but not nearly as bad. I hope some of this helps. I have tried to get her to go on this site as she has so many questions, and it has helped me so much, but to my knowledge she hasn't. Good luck to you

Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
Inactive

Karla HB User
Im quite a bit older than you but I did the lupron injections for endo. The first month I menstrated the other 5 I did not menstrate. I gained 50 pounds and hair started falling out. I had no pain during sex while on lupron. However, as soon as the lupron stopped I went right back into painful intercourse and painful menstral cycles. I opted for a hysterectomy which I had put off for 15 years and have loved it ever sense. It has been 2 years now. No period, no pain. I have my life back again. You may want to consider that as soon as you are done trying to have children. I was done at your age and just was to chicken to go through with it sooner. Please read all you can find on the internet about lupron. It is not good to take it for more than 6 months but there are a few drs I have read about who try to perscribe it for a year or longer. This is a very dangerous medicine. Please stay informed on it.

Old 05-03-2003, 06:10 PM   #4

susgan HB User
Just to add my 2 cents....my friends daughter has not had kids yet, so that is the only reason I suggested getting a second/third opinion. I just hate to have her give that option up for good. I am almost 43, have 3 sons, have not had major problems in this area so I don't know your pains, but to jump into a hysterectomy at 23 just seems hasty. Well, that may have been 3-4 cents worth, sorry Again, good luck!

Susan

Old 05-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #5

KChan HB User
I think Karla was suggesting that as soon as I am done having children to get a hysterectomy.
I definitely would not get one now.

I can't believe that some women put on as much weight as 50lbs! Honestly, I won't be able to handle that.
Does the weight gain happen at the beginning of the injections? Or is it just a gradual weight gain over the 6 month period?

Old 05-03-2003, 06:28 PM   #6

KChan HB User
One more thing.....

Does anyone know why or how the Depo makes you gain weight?

Old 05-03-2003, 06:36 PM   #7

susgan HB User
KChan...I understand what you were saying, but for my friend to suggest to her daughter to go ahead with a hysterectomy at her age, and not have another opinion just doesn't make sense to me! I wasn't talking about you, I am sorry if you thought I was.

My friends daughter did gain weight, but was very heavy to begin with, so it is very hard to say how much was actually gained. She is just a very overwieght girl.

Good luck to you

Susan

Old 05-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #8

KChan HB User
Just an update:

I started the injection on earlier this week.
We'll see how it affects me............

I started it on the first day of my period. And since then, I have not bled anymore. I hope this is okay. The nurse told me that I may bleed in 2 weeks.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User
KChan - Good luck and please let us know how it goes...

I'm 20 and am about to begin the Lupron shots in 2 weeks... and am *very* nervous about the side effects. I had a lap. done last Friday, and was diagnosed with severe endo, so I know the shots are the best thing, but I have heard bad bad things from people on them.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:22 PM   #10

Vlasik HB User

hi,

i am 25 and have endo too and my doctor wants me to start takind depo or lupron. i have not decided to start because I have heard horrible stories about both meds. My pain is very bad but I do not want to take a med that will complicate my life even more. Please let me know how the lupron and depo goes for you. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:49 PM   #11

misscurlz HB User
Re: I'm 23, is Depo Lupron okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasik
hi,

i am 25 and have endo too and my doctor wants me to start takind depo or lupron. i have not decided to start because I have heard horrible stories about both meds. My pain is very bad but I do not want to take a med that will complicate my life even more. Please let me know how the lupron and depo goes for you. Thanks.
Jules and Vlasik-
Did the Lupron help? Did you take it in combination with Aygestin? I am 22 and just had a lapro done and was diagnosed with Endo, my doc plans on starting me on Lupron/Aygestin in Feb (when my insurance will cover it). My husband and I just got married four months ago, and the Endo diagnosis was very hard on us. Now we are worried about the effects of Lupron, not to mention having children. Please let me know how your treatment went. Im scared and want all the advice I can get!

Old 12-28-2003, 08:47 PM   #12

sandiswieter HB User

[FONT=Tahoma]
I don't want to scare you or anything but...I finished my 6 months of Lupron 3 months ago and I wish I could go back in time. I did great with my first month shot so after that I went ahead with a 3 month shot and it all went downhill after that. I started gaining weight (35lbs total) and started having severe pain. My pain is so severe throughout my whole body that I have lost my job because I can not sit for any long periods of time because I loose the feeling in my legs and my back starts to spasm. One of the side effects of Lupron that the doctors don't discuss with you is Fibromyalgia. I have to go see a Neurologist the end of January to get a formal diagnosis for this although it is what my family doctor thinks that I have. I don't sleep much at night. Insomnia is another side effect. But the pain is so severe when I lay down that I can't stand it. I would have rather lived with the pain of the endo then the pain caused from the Lupron. I did alot of research before I started taking the shots and I thought that I knew what I was getting myself into. I was wrong. I have begged for 2 years now for my doctor to do a hysterectomy even though I want to have children of my own and since he knows that he won't do it because he says I am to young ( I am 31) and he feels that will send me into an emotional whirlwind. Also, just so you know there is a class action lawsuit against TAP manufacturing because they were overcharging for Lupron and they were offering a kickback to doctors for prescribing it to their patients. Like I said I don't want to scare you at all and every woman has to make her own choice but she also needs to make an informative one with any and all information that she can get. Good luck to you.

Old 12-29-2003, 09:42 PM   #13

Beth* HB User

I am bumping up one of my posts from earlier this month which goes into my story as well as several other ladies dealing with this...hope reading some of these posts helps!

Good luck, its your decision and your decision only to make....honestly, Lupron effects everyone a bit differently and you will never know until you try!

Take care...read the other posts...
Beth

Old 01-01-2004, 10:33 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

hi everyone,
my lupron story isn't so bad. I am 27. i have been taking monthly injections for 5 months to try to shrink a fibroid tumor (didn't shrink it unfortunately) which was causing infertility, such bad cramps, and such heavy bleeding that I am anemic now and I haven't had any bad side effects thank god, cause I have heard of terrible ones and I was very worried too. Although it didn't shrink my fibroid, the fibroid hasn't gotten bigger, my periods have been light spotting most of the time (many women stop them all together) and I have had barely any cramps. The worst thing that happened to me was some hot flashes at night, nothing too bad though. Good luck to you all too. I also advise anyone to get more than one opinion. It's so important. You'd be surprised how different some docs are.
Take care
Stacy

Old 01-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #15

aph1102 HB User

I'm 24 and was diagnosed with endo about a year ago. They tried the depo injections but for me the side effects were awful. I was dizzy all the time (passed out a couple times), gained 17 lbs in a month and a half (which I haven't been able to get rid of), and I was extremely moody. They put me on Premarin (sp?) to counteract the menopause effects but it didn't work very well. I stopped after 2 injections. Then they tried Yasmin, that didn't work either. Now I'm on desogen, ultracet, and some kind of bladder medicine. So far I've had headaches and trouble going to the bathroom (I think that's the pain meds). I have a doctors appointment Tuesday and she said if this trial didn't work then we'd probably do the hysterectomy. My only problem now is that I don't know if insurance will cover it and I only have 1 month left off of work so if I have the surgery I'll probably get fired. I know I'm rambling.

Oh yeah, as far as pain during sex, that was the main reason I went to the doctor in the first place. Not only does it hurt but afterwards I have heavy bleeding. I have a great fiance that has been very patient .

I don't want any children so that's not really a problem but they're hesitant to do the surgery because I'm so young with no children. Only problem is I can't keep living with this pain and bleeding so I have to have something done. Hope this helps you. When I started my shots this is where I came for info and the people were extremely helpful and supportive. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Closed Thread