It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2003, 09:01 AM   #1

robinbanks HB User
Post I need help- chapped vulva/outer vagina

I recently went to the doctor and found out that I had a yeast infection. He prescribed the Diflucan pill which I took already and metrogel for the burning sensation.

Problem is it burns on the outside- looking from my mirror I can see little like slits- the same way it looks when someone has really chapped lips. It really burns when i wipe or shower. My only theory was to put on vaseline(babies; diaper rash, chappped, etc.). Has anyone experienced something like this? What other creams should I use. By the way the yeast infection is gone (it was cause by antibiotics I was taking).

Please help me! I want to get back to having sex and I've had this for about 4 days with no improvement!!!

Old 05-23-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
I have heard of others with that cut or slit problem, try vitamin E oil, it will sooth as well as heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2003, 03:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Hi Robin....i came across some info on the net regarding "Tips for Vulvar Care". You mentioned that you would try Vaseline, but one of the pointers listed below states that Vaseline (among other things) may cause Yeast Infections....

Tips for vulvar care
Use only warm water to wash the vulva. Dry thoroughly with a clean towel. (If the vulva is very irritated, you can try drying it with a blow dryer set on cool.)

The vagina cleanses itself naturally in the form of normal, vaginal discharge. Avoid using douches unless prescribed by your physician. These products can upset the natural balance of organisms.

Wear only white, 100 percent cotton underwear. Avoid wearing nylon, acetate, or other manmade fibers.

Rinse underclothes carefully after washing. Or, double-rinse.

Wash new underclothes before wearing.

Use a mild soap (such as Woolite) for washing underclothes. Do not use detergents (especially Tide) or fabric softeners (including dryer sheets).

Use soft toilet tissue (white only).

Use tampons instead of sanitary napkins to control menstrual bleeding. (Do not use deodorant tampons.)

Take Aveeno sitz baths daily, if prescribed by your health care provider.

Don't scratch.

Avoid wearing nylon pantihose or panty girdles. They trap heat and moisture, providing an ideal breeding environment for organisms. When nylons or leggings are required, wear cotton or nylons with a cotton panty.

Avoid these feminine hygiene products, which can irritate the vulva: sanitary pads, feminine spray and deodorants, Vaseline, oils, greases, bubble baths, bath oils, talc or powder.

Petroleum-based lotions (Vaseline) are not recommended. They may cause irritation and yeast infections and can weaken condoms to the point of breaking.

Closed Thread