It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2003, 07:17 AM   #1

kmnorris HB User
Post DARK SPOTS ON MY ARMS AND LEGS!

I AM 24 YEARS OLD. WHEN I WAS ABOUT 11 OR 12 I HAD DARK SPOTS POP UP ALL OVER MY ARMS AND LEGS. THEY LOOK LIKE SCARES FROM A MOSQUITO BITE, BUT WHEN I WENT TO A DERMATOLOGIST HE SAID THEY WERE NOT SCARES. HE DONE BIOPSIES AND FOUND NOTHING. HE SAID THAT IT WAS SKIN PIGMENT DISCOLORATION AND THAT I MIGHT BE ALLERGIC TO THE SUN. WHEN I TURNED ABOUT 16 YEARS OLD THEY SLOWLY WENT AWAY. THEN AFTER I HAD MY LITTLE GIRL IN OCTOBER 2003 THEY RETURNED. I THEN WENT BACK TO THE DERMATOLOGIST AND HE SAID THEY WERE NOT DARK ENOUGH YET TO BIOPSY AND HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INSIGHT I WOULD BE GREATFUL. I HAVE ALSO BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH IBS AND MENIERE'S DISEASE SINCE THEN, IF THAT WOULD BE OF ANY HELP. THANK YOU.

Old 05-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #2

meye3sons HB User
Personally, no dr. has the right to tell you that you can't get a spot biopsied. I had a freckle on my shoulder I did not "remember" being there previously. My PC dr. said it was nothing, but i insisted on going to the dermotologist, he also said it was nothing, again, I insisted it be removed. As it turns out, I had early melanoma. The dr. said that he wished he took a picture of it because he never would have thought it was melanoma. My point--use your instinct, it can never steer you wrong. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 03:30 PM   #3

SuzCat HB User
I can't believe that someone else is describing exactly what happened to me when I was an adolescent. At about age 10, I started getting dark spots on my legs and ankles, and later they were all over my arms too. Talk about humiliation in gym class when we all had to wear T-shirts and shorts! I was taken to many dermatologists who ran many tests, prescribed numerous creams and ointments, etc. and nothing ever helped. They didn't itch or anything; they were just ugly and unsettling. When they first appeared they would almost look like hickeys, like blood vessels were bursting under my skin or something. Then, when I was about 15, they started to go away for the most part. But today I am 27 and even still have a few remaining spots around my ankles or on my arms. To this day I have no idea what causes them.

But I did recently find out that I have endometriosis, and I also have a number of other autoimmune problems like arthritis, allergies, etc. so it wouldn't surprise me if the spots were an autoimmune problem too. But there's really no way to tell; all doctors have ever done for me is look at them, scratch their heads, and tell me to live with it.

Please let me know if you get any new information about this problem, or if you'd like to talk more about it. I just still can't believe that I'm not the only one this has happened to...

:-)
Suz

Old 05-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #4

kmnorris HB User
I too have an autoimmune disorder, Meniere's disease. I have also been diagnosed with IBS and I have real bad muscle spasms. I have wondered if it could be a rash from an autoimmune disorder. The only things that seems to help mine are tanning beds. Keep me posted and thanks for your replies.

Closed Thread