It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #1

minnakitty2000 HB User
Unhappy Burning pain in both breasts and under arms

Hello all! This is my first time using the message boards. I never thought I would find myself posting a message. Well here goes! When I was in my 30's I was diagnosed with Fibrocystic Breast Disease. What brought me to the doctor was the burning pain that I felt in both of my breasts. During my exam the doctor discovered what he thought were cysts in both breasts. I had a mamogram and the results came back as normal. I was placed on a perscription of Cytomel(a thyroid drug) and was told to take vitamin E. The cytomel was supposed to help with the cysts. I was told to cut out my caffeine for awhile. I am a big coffee and tea drinker. After awhile I discontinued the Cytomel because of the side effects. I was feeling much better. It has been several years since this has happened. However, this month my breasts started burning and so did my armpits. one of my armpits feel as though something is stuck in it, sort of a pinch and also an ache. (by the way I am 46 years of age) I have also been having problems sleeping. I go to bed at 11:00 or 12:00 p.m. and wake up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning and I am not able to get back to sleep. I also find that the collar and chest area of my pajamas are soaked with sweat. This has happened 3 nights so far. Has anyone out there had any symptoms like these? I am not sure what I should do. I don't have any health insurance right now. I was turned down for health insurance today because of my weight. ( I also have Hypothyroidism and take Synthroid, this makes me gain weight) I also do not have a doctor here where I live. Does anyone out there have any ideas? I pray that I don't have cancer. Well, Thank you all for listening. minnakitty

[This message has been edited by minnakitty2000 (edited 05-27-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2003, 08:46 PM   #2

chiron HB User
Arrow

Age 46; maybe you are entering menopause...? Breast tenderness and lymph node pain...? Waking up at night with hot flashes and sweating...? Electrical sparks-fireworks in the chest region...? Period irregularities...?

Old 05-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
Inactive

Discododi HB User
You may want to check the phonebook for a clinic and try to see a doctor about your symptoms. Ususally, when you first see a doctor, if you tell them you do not have insurance, they will only order tests that are essential.

Also, many colleges that have a school of medicine, offer clinics at a reduced price. You may have one in your area.

Good Luck to you, Dodi

Old 05-29-2003, 11:05 PM   #4

minnakitty2000 HB User
Question

Chiron, thank you for responding to my post. I am not sure if I am menopausel yet. I believe my mother went through it in her late 40's to early 50's. She really never discussed this with me and that is a shame. It sure would have helped me alot to know what symptoms to look for. My 27 year old daughter seems to think I may be starting menopause. I think the only way to find out is to take a hormone test. My cycles are usually every 27 or 28 days. Sometimes during long months I have 29 to 30 day cycles. When I am under stress they can be 25 day cycles. I don't really have any hot flashes but I do break a sweat around the collar and breast area of my pajama tops. I guess I should look into when I see the doctor. Thanks again for your reply. minnakitty

Old 05-29-2003, 11:26 PM   #5

minnakitty2000 HB User
Talking

Dodi, thank you for the advice. Las Vegas isn't a real friendly place when you don't have any money. There are not to many programs that help some one in my age catagory. However I did find a place that will help while surfing the web. A person can receive help from the CDC- The Centers For Disease Control. If you are low income you can receive free breast exams, Cervical exams and if you are age 50 a mamogram. They will only allow you to have a mamogram when you are under 50 if they find anything suspicious. If they find anything wrong with you they will provide you with free medical care for as long as you need it. All 50 states have this program from the CDC to help low income women receive the help they need. They have a clinic here in Las Vegas and I have been fortunate to get an appointment with a Midwife for my breast and cervical exam on the fourth of June. I will know if I qualify for the mamogram at my appointment. Thanks again. minnakitty

Closed Thread